Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Moved in
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed the Powerstoke medalion of the doors yet? Just wondering if there are holes or just double sided tape.

I'm also planning on removing the 4x4 sticker on the bed. Is there a tried and true method to that as well?

·
This We'll Defend
1,549 Posts
The powerstroke badges on the doors do not have any holes with them, but the tape is a beast to get off. I found goo gone, and about two hours of elbow grease will get it off though. The F250 / F350 badges do have holes behind them for future reference. The 4X4 sticker is going to be the biggest challenge. My friend got his off by soaking it in goo gone repetedly for about three hours and then getting some fishing line behind the decal and sawing it off. Its time consuming and once its off, you have to work at getting all the adhesive off the back side or you'll end up with dirt sticking to it... That and the paint had faded around where they were so once he had them off, you could still see it....almost like a ghost paint job.

·
JDG's #1 Fan
3,470 Posts
He is talking about a brand new truck, Someone should be able to chime in about the B20 Badge,

As for the sticker, get one of these at your local autoparts store, carquest near me had them, about $35 but worth every penny:

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you get an eraserwheel like above be careful with it, you can go through the paint. It will take it off fast though.

·
<-Dang Orders...EGR WHAT?
115 Posts
The wifes hair dryer works well, but you might end gettting her a new one. We used a heat gun from work to get them off a friends truck.

·
brandon
778 Posts
The heat gun works well. I have used both a heat gun and a wheel, wheel works fine but you can burn swirls in the paint if you press hard and stay in one place. My best friends dad is a body man and he uses both

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I used a hairdryer to get mine off but i wish i would have just kept them on cause you can see where they were now. But it came off just fine

·
Moved in
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How old was the truck? I am thinking if I do it on a brand new truck right away it should really show. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
How old was the truck? I am thinking if I do it on a brand new truck right away it should really show. Am I wrong?
mine is a 07 that i think has spent all its life outside. if you do it to a new one i dont think you will be able to tell

·
Registered
88 Posts
Dacron fishing line cuts right through the tape (no risk of denting with a screw driver) and either lamp oil or lighter fluid goes right through the adhesive without hurting the clear coat. I've compared this to goo gone and it depends on the adhesive, but I think the oils work slightly better.

A heat gun or hair dryer is definitely the best way to take off new vinyl. Use a flat razor to lift the edge and it should pull right off.

Old vinyl is a different story. The wheel or what I prefer is a pressure washer with a flat spray at about 45 degrees... Little pieces can be wiped away using a cotton rag with some lighter fluid.

DON'T ever use break fluid!!! The jackass who had my truck before I bought it did that... pin striping and silk screened lettering is all coming off now.. Grrr

·
brandon
778 Posts
I had brake fluid spill in the back of my old truck. Did a nice job of taking the paint off down to the metal:doh:

·
Science rulz
1,424 Posts
Well, what works nice for those vinyl's is those steam plate thingies, basically just a water boiler with some hose on it and a plate with a cloth covering connected. Really makes it easy to get off. Once that's done you just take some Methylated Spirits on a shop rag and swipe the region where it was, and c'est voila. I can't seem to find a picture, but I know Black & Decker makes 'em, and I'm sure Bosch, Panasonic etc etc etc does to.

Never tried those caramel wheels, but they're supposed to work pretty well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has anyone removed the Powerstoke medalion of the doors yet? Just wondering if there are holes or just double sided tape.

I'm also planning on removing the 4x4 sticker on the bed. Is there a tried and true method to that as well?
If you can get it off in one piece I buy them, want one for the tail gate..PM me

·
Registered
183 Posts
I own a bodyshop, A new truck the sticker will come right off with a little heat from heatgun or hair drier just peel up with your finger nail and pull slowly while still heating as far as the glue should be min. wax and grease remover works best their will still be a shadow were the sticker was more noticable on black you will have to buff that area to get rid of that, badges on the door u could use fishing line then rubbber wheel to clean tape off hope this helps

·
Registered
11 Posts
Found that WD-40 works great for removing the goo from adhesives.

·
Moved in
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
4x4 stickers came off with no problem without using anything. I'm debating the badges so for now they will stay on the door.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts