Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck has always done the death wobble some, but generally only after getting my tires rotated and balanced.

I R/B my tires about 3000 miles ago, and my death wobble is still not cured. If I am going under 30 mph, and hit a bump/hole of some sort my truck starts to go spastic.

Starting off I think its a good idea to go small and just replace the steering stabilizer as I think the shock might be shot. Looking for some other opinions. Also, is DR the way to go for the shock, or should I be looking at another brand? Thanks... Just wanna get this dam thing to stop

Kevin

Its not in my sig but it is a 4 inch D.R. on 35's

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My buddy has the same problem. He has 10 inches and dual stabilizers about 10k miles on them.
I heard dual stabilizers nearly almost always fix it. I just don't want them. IMO they look odd..? But, if it is the road I have to take. Then I'll just have to bite the bullet.

·
Diesel Sled Head
1,101 Posts
Make sure to have your tires aired up also on the high end of the spec. Seems to help.

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tires are correct +/- 2 psi. I recently checked the tie rods they were okay.

Whats the negative caster? Not very good with suspension here.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Check the ball joints and the steering box for looseness.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
My track bar bushing went out and the bolts in the track bar bracket that go across the frame had come a little loose and was alowing the bracket to move a little everytime i turned the wheen and thats waht cause the track bar bushing to go out after replacing that and installing a new track bar bracket the wobble went away.

Did you install the lift Kit your self/ if so id be checking that track bar bolt cause it needs to be torqued to like 250 ft lbs so if your dont have something capeable of that, that could be your problem

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My track bar bushing went out and the bolts in the track bar bracket that go across the frame had come a little loose and was alowing the bracket to move a little everytime i turned the wheen and thats waht cause the track bar bushing to go out after replacing that and installing a new track bar bracket the wobble went away.

Did you install the lift Kit your self/ if so id be checking that track bar bolt cause it needs to be torqued to like 250 ft lbs so if your dont have something capeable of that, that could be your problem
I had it installed at Planet Pick-Up in San Antonio nearly 5 years ago (pretty reputable shop). The kit got put on only after about 500 mi of driving. I have a 400 ft/lb snap on torque wrench so I'll try to re-torque it this weekend when I am at my shop. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I had it installed at Planet Pick-Up in San Antonio nearly 5 years ago (pretty reputable shop). The kit got put on only after about 500 mi of driving. I have a 400 ft/lb snap on torque wrench so I'll try to re-torque it this weekend when I am at my shop. Thanks for the idea.

no problem i know thats what caused my problem i was like you when it first started i was like well time for a new steering stablizer and come to find out i was wrong so there are many things that cause it but usually it is the stablizer but sometimes more and in my case it was more

·
PSN nerd
2,301 Posts
does your lift use drop brackets on the radius arms?

the caster angle could be off also, that is the angle of the steering knuckles I belive 5 degree positive is what it is supposed to be.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts