Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving back from class this evening, stopped at a light and noticed the truck was missing. Felt sluggish taking off and when I got home I had P0275 - Cylinder 5 Contribution Fault. Used my AE to turn off #5 and verified its a dead miss, doesn't even occasionally fire.

I also had P0603 KAM Memory Error, but it has popped up in the past and only comes back occasionally. Cleared the codes, idled it for a bit, and P0275 Cyl 5 Contribution was the only code showing. I also ran the injector buzz test and all 8 clicked every time, fired it up and #5 still missing.

I know there are wire chaffing issues on the '03 engines, but I wouldn't think it should show up all of a sudden as a dead miss. Any ideas other than that?

Thanks!

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
:doh: IIRC the middle cylinders don't get enough coolant and are prone to the most damage in the motor due to the heat. Hopefully its nothing serious and its just the harness, I'd check it.

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
mine did this the other nite in wichita, after about a 5.5 hour drive, it was parked for 15-20 min and i fired it back up to go grab some grub and got to the stop light and it was coughing and sputtering, so i decided i had about had it with this bs by the time the light turned green so i just matted on it and let it get 4k rpms in first n second and now it runs like a top, lol, probably not an approved method, but i was almost aiming for blowing somthin on mine

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think I'll try that method :) Sounds like its a mechanical problem in the injector, or a cut o-ring. Since it passes the injector buzz test its most likely not the harness :( Guess I'll be doing surgery on my baby soon, just need to find the time when trying to finish up grad school... Guess I should get my motorcycle back together to use in the meantime.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New symptom I just found today, it only misses when its warmed up, when cold it runs fine. I'm thinking its an o-ring on the high-pressure oil side of the injector. Does this sound likely or could it still be an internal o-ring or other injector failure?

·
Hate 'R Us
2,436 Posts
Either oil or fuel problem, duh I know lol. But get it looked at ASAP!

Mine started doing that and I just limped it along and now it wont turn over when warm and won't fuel over 2K rpm. Trust me, get that thing worked on quick. Don't put it off like I did.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Doubt it is an internal oring. I have had those before and truck runs fine, except it mixes fuel and oil.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the o-ring in the top end where the oil rail inserts replaceable? That is the one I suspect, but I thought it was not replaceable.

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
Sounds like ya just need to yank that valve cover off and give it hell. I would replace the injector and go on. If you put it off, your liable to be putting a new engine in that sucker. It ain't no fun.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, its definitely a weak injector. Runs fine until warm when more HPOP pressure bleeds off and then it doesn't have enough to fire. Wednesday I took a chance that it was a bad o-ring and swapped #5 with #3 and put new o-rings on both, ended up just moving the miss to #3. Have an injector ordered and should get here today so I'll install it tomorrow.

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
If it warms up and something starts to bleed pressure from the high side you might not have enough injection pressure to atomize the fuel enough in that cylinder. Is it white smoking once the miss comes in?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is a complete miss at idle, turning off #5 with AE made no difference. At higher rpm under acceleration I occasionally would see a puff of white, and at full throttle it smokes dark haze, though very lightly.

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
Then you aren't getting any fuel out of that injector. Weak coils possibly.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, I'm wondering if there is another problem now. Got the bad injector replaced, took it out for a test drive, felt a few random misses, figured it was air in the system. Today driving back from the golf course (where a ball hit the roof!!!) it was missing consistently after warming up. Checked the codes and its showing #6 bad now, also smokes pretty good under hard acceleration. ICP and everything looks good according to AE. Only think I can think is, 3k miles ago I switched to Valvoline 5w-40 and it must be a little thinner when hot than the Mobil 15w-40 so my HPOP pressure is bleeding off a little more. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Replaced #6 today and runs great. Hopefully just the injector was the problem and no HP oil issues show up later on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts