Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys need some help badly.. so today I was changing a vss pigtail when I thought I seen a broken ground wire in my rear wiring harness so I fixed it.. well I ended up shorting out my brake light switch wires.. badly.. where can I find a wiring diagram for the wires and how much of a pain will this be to fix..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Only can find about 6-7” of melted wire would I be able to reinsulate the wire and continue to use it?

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
That's a tough call, I think that I would be checking junk yards for a pigtail to use.

I'm not sure but a gas trucks wiring should also work.

Taping it up might get you back on the road but I don't know for how long. I would splice in some good wire instead of trying to re insulate it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The problem isn't the melted insulation you can see - it's the melted insulation you CAN'T see, inside the harness. It's possible that the wires melted into OTHER wires, and are shorting to them (or will soon, creating a "cascade failure", and possibly another fire). The only safe move is to pull the dash, unwrap the harness, and repair it ALL. It's not as hard as it sounds, but it IS some work. I'm about to do it to my '97 because the dash shell is shattered. I've already pulled this one, stripped, & painted it:

(phone app link)

The hot wire for the BOO comes from the dash fuse panel. Its output wire goes to (among other things) the MFS (turn signal switch), trailer brake controller, PCM...

(phone app link)

This is a dash harness:

(phone app link)

This is a dash with a heavily-modified harness:

(phone app link)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts