Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of dash cams are y'all using. Would you buy it for another vehicle? What do you like about it? and what to do you NOT like about it?

These dumb a$$ drivers are pushing my limits so I am going to CMOA!

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
I recently got 2 Mini 805's for under $150 (for both). I installed one in one truck already and will be doing the second as soon as time permits. The features I was after probably don't echo what most everyone else is looking for tho. The attributes I most heavily weighed were size, video quality, 'spin-ability' of the camera head, low light / dark quality, and NOT GPS. I know where I'm at. You and everyone else do not need to know this.

Anyway, the Mini has full 1080p (one higher, 2300-something x 2596) HD ability and the image is amazing for a little camera. I say 'spin around' ability so I can spin it around and watch the inside of the vehicle when I get where I'm going and want to catch window smashers. It says it runs for 18hrs at full resolution on a 128 gig card, but I haven't tested this theory yet.

There is a GPS unit available, and it has nothing to do with the camera. It's in the mount that goes on the windshield and is only a few bucks more. Size wise, it's a little bigger than a jumbo egg. Whether you get the GPS or not it still has annoying things I'll never use like crash detection, lane departure warnings, and some other crap that can all thankfully be turned off.

Oh, naturally I got it on FleaBay. As of now, I'd give it a thumbs up. The only negatives I'd say about it are the spaghetti wires feeding it and all the other gadgets we clutter our view with and the useless screen on the back of the camera. You have to go thru 7 menus to shut it off. Other than that, it seems okay.

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These are the two I purchased...

Spy Tec G1W-C for my truck and a Dexors X5 for my wife's Mustang....I am also looking for a third unit for my wife's work vehicle...not decided on that unit yet.

they both do at least 1080p HD 30 fps both have wide angle view and the G1W-C is a capacitor equipped unit instead of a battery.

If you are in the market insure you buy from the company that makes the unit....you may pay a little more but you will not get a crappy knock off from China. Apparently there is a huge flood of knock offs being offered from other retail outlets other than the manufacturer.

Additional info to follow when I get some data.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got some 50 dollar special off of Ebay. It works for me. It's HD. It just doesn't shut off like it's supposed to but if you have it on a circuit only energized with the ignition on you should be fine. I've already used it in police reports.

·
Administrator
8,181 Posts
i use the cobra 840 in all my trucks.
36 gig mini sd card gives me 19 hours recording time on a 3 minute record set
record quality is good enough that the police have used the recorded clips as evidence in three criminal accident cases so far and had convictions in each due to the dash cam recording

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
where is best place to get an "ign on +12v" to trigger the recording?
work truck is a 2001 f350 and I dont have a EVTM for it, so any help appreciated.

on topic, just get one. they are cheap cina junk and they arent going to last but after having one you wont want to not have one.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i use the cobra 840 in all my trucks.
36 gig mini sd card gives me 19 hours recording time on a 3 minute record set
record quality is good enough that the police have used the recorded clips as evidence in three criminal accident cases so far and had convictions in each due to the dash cam recording
Criminal accident? What's that? If its an accident it's not criminal, just civil.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I use the zero edge rear view mirror mobile recording device.
They are under $80 on Amazon
This is a front and rear camera system with a screen that goes in place of your windshield rear view mirror, it mounts right on top of it
It has picture in picture, comes with SD card, and when it's off it is a really nice mirror
This thing records front and rear as soon as the vehicle is started until you shut it off. It also has a battery inside it and a motion sensor, so even when you are not around the vehicle, if somebody bumps your vehicle it starts recording front and back. It also can be removed from the mirror in two seconds and you can use it to play your video back (Like show the cops or the judge the incident)
Or just take the SC card inside and use your computer to play video back, save files

We have 3 of these installed in our own vehicles, and I have installed a few more for customers
They work very well and for the price cannot be beat.

https://www.amazon.com/Z-Edge-Camera-Recorder-Vehicles-Included/dp/B010H0SL9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477325267&sr=8-1&keywords=zeroedge

I recently installed one in our 01 excursion:

·
Administrator
8,181 Posts
criminal accident is one where the person that caused the accident is charged with a felony or criminal charge. like drunk driving, running a red light causing a crash, reckless endangerment, ya know, criminal activity that causes an accident with injury.

·
Registered
34 Posts
criminal accident is one where the person that caused the accident is charged with a felony or criminal charge. like drunk driving, running a red light causing a crash, reckless endangerment, ya know, criminal activity that causes an accident with injury.
Oh ok. Just FYI, running a red light and causing a crash is not a crime. Failing to observe a traffic control device is an infraction, not a crime. Although you could be charged with reckless operation, which is a misdemeanor. All that other stuff is though! :wink:

·
Administrator
32,933 Posts
pretty sure there are always special circumstances
like if you were speeding when you ran that light or they can prove you ran that light intentionally and someone is hurt/accident it is a crime

·
Registered
34 Posts
pretty sure there are always special circumstances
like if you were speeding when you ran that light or they can prove you ran that light intentionally and someone is hurt/accident it is a crime
Well I'm no lawyer or DA, but I would say all red light running is intentional. Unless you're texting and driving which is illegal in most states and are oblivious to the light.

But speeding and running a red light still isn't a crime unless your speeding is so bad that it becomes reckless operation. Everything you guys have described is not by itself a crime, but can be construed as a different crime. Running a red light? Infraction. Speeding? Infraction unless its 25 over then its reckless operation. Many people have caused accidents by running red lights and they don't get carted off to jail. It's still just an infraction.

I was run into from behind at a stop light by a girl we think was texting. I was on my motorcycle and she knocked me off, totaled the bike and put me in months of rehab. That still wasn't considered a crime and she walked away with a ticket for careless operation. It was VERY careless because we had been sitting at the light for a period of time when she hit me. Stupid woman. Shut up and drive.

I didn't mean to derail the thread. Sorry about that.

·
Administrator
8,181 Posts
no derail, you asked a valid question.. the one time with the red light runner was under the influence of something and speeding away from a store robbery when he ran the light doing approximately 40mph over the limit. he almost killed 4 people. i was sitting opposite the light and got the whole thing on disc which i gave to the police, and it was used in court with my testimony and 4 others to get him a 15 year sentence after pleading guilty. his lawyer looked at the video and told him he was SOL and on his own.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nearly two years later the Dexors X5 in my wife's car has stopped working. They one in my truck is still going.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts