Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Built By Me
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bran new 4 month old 38r started making a bad noise lately so i pulled the intake off and whallaa theres oil in the intake housing, excessive shaft play and the comp wheel is even rubbing the housing. This turbo has never seen more than 40psi and rarely sees that pressure. I hate to say it but my old TN thrust bearing unit lasted longer than this one did anyone have any ideas for what turbo to go with next?

Robert

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Sorry about your troubles, what mods are done to your truck?....your turbo still has a warranty, call your dealer and see what they can do for you.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Probably just a bad one, it happens. You can have that one warrantied or go bigger.

42R is a GREAT turbo, but spendy. Inexpensive alternative is a K31 and/or GT42. Stay with a T4 inlet on the turbine.

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
H2E setup

Guess it depends on how much fuel you have or are gonna have to burn............The H2E is upgradable.........So is the TN that DSD mentioned.........Fact theres a thread about it

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Get it warrantied, have them send you a new one, sell it and step up to a 42 or equivelent in Tn or Borg Warner. Those turbo piss me off, they are like the Ford 6.0, some are bulletproof with no problems, then others fall on their nose and breakdown. You know Garrett has had these on back order for this reason. They were having tooling issues and haven't solved them yet.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
stop smiling Joe!:poke:
heck I am still on my OEM turbo and your on your 3rd?

everyone says how great the 42r is but I can't imagine on a real daily driver that the turbo lights quick enough under mild use. sure if you slam the pedal
or it gets to decent rpm that thing will kick like a mule. Or am I wrong and it starts pulling quick little lag and such...

did your 38r have any surge issues? possibly a housing could prevent it in the 20~ 30 range, but I noticed others, came on at a lower pressure.
something had to kill it, bad tolerances?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Who'd you buy it from? I'd give them a chance to might it right if its warranteed.

I beat the ever lovin crap outta my lil 38 (40-42 lbs)....no leaks, or excessive shaft play. (just checked matter of fact)

Sorry about your luck. :( Crap happens I guess.

:whs:

·
Good Times
209 Posts
Dude you have the worst luck with turbos. Hope that you can get it taken care of.......wait I have an idea Rob, TWINS!;)

·
Built By Me
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Who'd you buy it from? I'd give them a chance to might it right if its warranteed.

Oh ya thats what i am doing im not mad at anybody and am working on it now im just mad it only lasted 4 months. The turbo wouldnt surge just daily driving but when i would pull a load it would surge pretty bad and driving down the highway it was right in that spot were you couldnt pull really hard because of the surge. 1.15 housing would probably take care of that problem. FWIW my injectors are 300cc hybrids

Robert

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Get it warrantied, have them send you a new one, sell it and step up to a 42 or equivelent in Tn or Borg Warner. Those turbo piss me off, they are like the Ford 6.0, some are bulletproof with no problems, then others fall on their nose and breakdown. You know Garrett has had these on back order for this reason. They were having tooling issues and haven't solved them yet.
mechanical parts :doh:
everyone says how great the 42r is but I can't imagine on a real daily driver that the turbo lights quick enough under mild use. sure if you slam the pedal
or it gets to decent rpm that thing will kick like a mule. Or am I wrong and it starts pulling quick little lag and such...
i think everyone says the 42r lights quickly. i am going to run a larger TN and see what happens w/o huge inj.
Oh ya thats what i am doing im not mad at anybody and am working on it now im just mad it only lasted 4 months. The turbo wouldnt surge just daily driving but when i would pull a load it would surge pretty bad and driving down the highway it was right in that spot were you couldnt pull really hard because of the surge. 1.15 housing would probably take care of that problem. FWIW my injectors are 300cc hybrids

Robert
just being an IDE, but are 300cc a bit large for a 38r? i honestly don't know, but that's a good bit of fuel. maybe a larger single (TN, 42r, K31, mod H2e) is in order?
... or twins!
hope it gets resolved quickly.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
NO WAY THAT GARRETT SURGED... They just dont surge...

No further comment from me other then sorry to here that (for your sake) and take a hard look at the TN T-70 kit...

·
Built By Me
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
High oil psi will push oil past the seals.That surge sure didn't help it in the long run.Good luck with your next purchase.

I agree but my LPO has a hot running psi of 35-38psi and cold is never over 50psi and my crank case vent is not plugged so i dont think that its an oil issue its the horrible shaft play that it has. It didnt surge on me very much cause i dont tow very much really it was just this past easter weekend when i pulled my trailer down to moab for the weekend, so it hasnt seen alot of surgeing abuse, and it was making noise before that. About the 300cc injectors they are a set that we built at our shop, they are not putting out the full 300cc not even close they are pretty detuned, they have alot of capability but as they sit in the truck right now and the programing i have the 38r completly cleans them up.

Robert

1 - 20 of 21 Posts