Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Grumpy Old Bitter Bastard
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of converting my D60 and D80 from 4.10s to 3.73s when I install Detroit TrueTracs. Has anyone else done a 4.10 to 3.73 conversion? Did you notice much difference in bottom end? Much better mileage? Thoughts?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well, its about 9.5% difference..

I wouldnt imagine you would see that much difference in mileage, due to the DRW, but, you would be able to cruise just shy of 70... to stay under 2k..

Chase

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
I used to set the cruise at2250 and that was a hair above 70 mph thats were I get the best mpg and still get somewhere.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
I'd go for the 3.73s while you in the axle. With stock size tires I like the 3.73s better. It will cut your RPMs down alittle.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
My buddies truck is 4:10's and I love it for towing, it's awesome.

But that's IT!

Out here where the roads are 75MPH it feels massively undergeared.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Like Greg said, if you have a trailer hooked up to it or larger tires 4.10s arn't that bad. But going 70mph+ it just is too low of a gear.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I agree. Wish I had 3:73. They do feel good when you need that bottom end grunt though.

·
A Ghost these days.
1,017 Posts
Why I towed 19k with my 3.73s and it pulled plenty hard.

Nigel since you're starting your build up I'd got for it. The More HP and Trk you have the easier the pulling will be with the taller gears.But if it were me I'd put an Eaton e-locker up front over the Detroit. That way if you need to lock the Diff you can flip a switch and make it happen.

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
I was thinkin about putting 3.73s in mine to with all the highway miles! I like the idea of it and wouldn't be a big deal with the manual trans

·
Canadian Powerstroker!
989 Posts
I would like to trade my 3.73s for some 4.10s

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
There's a 4x4 shop out by me that I'm good friends with, they have brand new 3.73's for the dana 80 for something like $40

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
There's a 4x4 shop out by me that I'm good friends with, they have brand new 3.73's for the dana 80 for something like $40
If they are good gears that don't sound like a bad price.

·
utah get me two
1,935 Posts
3.73 with stock size tires,pull great,but then i have 35s also,and thats where it starts to suck.my load is 22,000 grose combined and i can pull almost any hill at 60-65 .unless someone gets in my way and stops me,then i cant get it back,im dumed to finish the hill in second gear...

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
My friend just told me today he started driving 65 on the interstate because after driving his gas truck for a while he just couldn't stand to hear his PSD scream at 75-80

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
Yeah, cat, those gears were brand name but I can't remember what name. I'm thinking about doing it when my funds allow

1 - 16 of 16 Posts