Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 f250 hd 4x4 and i am looking for a dana 60 to go up front. What years will fit and is there one to bolt right up. I keep hearing that the drive shaft is gonna need to be cut is this correct. I would really like to find the front end before i put my new shoes on

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
any from a 87-97 F350, the early ones were king pin style and the later ones were the ball joint style. I have had 2 different D60's under my truck and I didn't have to touch my driveshaft.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whats better the balls or Kingpin and if i read it right the kingpin is the only one to fit am i right

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
Both will fit. The later ball joint axle brake rotors are a direct swap for the ones on the twin traction beam D-50 of the later PSD F250s.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what should i be looking for as for the price. or are all the dana 60's going for around 1000.00 regardless of year?

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
For the least amount of work, look for a 95-97 vintage.

With the 95-97 vintage, you can swap over all your brake components.

I think the 92-94 D60s used the slide pin calipers. You need different rotors, calipers and brake hoses. THe 92-94 D60s have ball joints.

Pre-92 -85 are kingpin. They have different rotors. calipers and brake hoses from the 95-97.

The 95-97 have the biggest rotors.

The D50 knuckles don't interchange with D60. The 92-97 ball joint "C"s are all the same.

If you offroad, get the kingpin one. If you primarily street drive it doesn't matter which one.

The driveshaft issue is a 50-50 ordeal. When I put my D60s in, the front driveshaft needed to be lengthened. Whatever you do, get the front driveshaft because it has the double cardan joint (CV type). I think it depends on the donor trucks trans/transfer type. If you get the front driveshaft, you MUST get the yoke off the transfer case. They are non-existant from the dealer unless you want to scrounge the junk yards.

This should keep you busy for awhile, don't forget page 2 :doh:
Pirate4x4.Com - Extreme Four Wheel Drive

Another question, just ask.

Oh yea, fill in your signature so we know what kind of truck you have.

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok figured out how to post the pic and the avatar.... it has a 4 inch lift (not shown in the photo) and i am waiting on my 35x12.5x16 mt baja claw radials.... trying to find me a dana 60 for the front before i put the new shoes on so i can cut down on the premature wear but all the danas i have run across are crazy $$$$$$

·
Registered
388 Posts
Billy pretty much summed it all up, also don't forgot to try to get the track bar, track bar bracket, sway bar, sway bar links and brackets as well for the best handling.... of course with your lift, you are going to have to lengthen the sway bar links, but thats no biggie.

Good luck.

Justin

·
OBS junkie
8,249 Posts
Billy & Justin pegged it pretty well. With the exception that my 93 driveshaft lines up perfectly with both the 95 D60 I had & now the 97. I drive in 4x4 alot with the weather up here & working off road & never had one issue.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey guys how do you add all the info like this

97 F-250 , Extended Cab, 4x4, Automatic, D60 with 4.10's, BTS Trans, 5" single stack, Tymar, Custom Tunes from BDP, RDS Stage 1's, Shimmed FPR, SD IC, 08' Diff Cover, D66 Turbo, 17* HPOP, Homemade Traction Bars, Electric Fuel System

97' F-350 CCLB 4x4 Stock -(FOR SALE)-

06' 2500HD Duramax ext. cab 4x4

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got it thanks

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Best possible ride quality improvement when you find your D60 is to get a RS kit and install SD springs front and rear with correctly valved Bilsteins. I've helped hundreds do this mod and have everything needed for the install.

Cary

·
Registered
38 Posts
if you get one cheap count on rebuilded it found one for 600 figure on another grand for all the rebuild.....just start sourcing parts get to know some guys find out where to by parts and go from there....took me about a year did all the work myself including install...take your time you will save money this way...good luck

·
OBS junkie
8,249 Posts
All depends, I got lucky with my 60s. Only thing that was really an issue with them was brakes & ball joints. First 60 had good calipers but the brakes could have stood to have been replaced with new pads & rotors. Second axle has good pads & rotors but the calipers were messed up. Seals were never an issue for me thankfully.

Usually with swapping in a 60 I would count on replacing a few things. Such as tie rods, brakes, hubs, ball joints, diff fluid & seals if it needs em. I always pop the cover off to see what the R&P looks like, both were good, no rust of signs of heat. Throw in new fluid & good to go.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the response guys. I would like to get a cheap one and do the rebuild myself just because. But as long as it will roll and bolt up to the truck now so my new shoes do not start wearing out crazy because of the IFS.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
Will a dually front work, can I reuse my D50 hubs and rotors?

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Yes you can use the hubs and rotors from the D50 but use the caliper bracket and caliper from the D60 so that you retain the 1 ton brake system. They are different configurations IIRC.

·
OBS junkie
8,249 Posts
Will a dually front work, can I reuse my D50 hubs and rotors?
Yes, that's what I did on my 93.

Yes you can use the hubs and rotors from the D50 but use the caliper bracket and caliper from the D60 so that you retain the 1 ton brake system. They are different configurations IIRC.
:whs: All you do is pull the dually adapter & install Dana 50 hubs with the 1 ton brakes.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts