Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was changing the pinion seal this afternoon. Everything came off just fine. Installed new seal, reinstalled the yoke, washer, and pinion nut. Made sure my marks were lined up correctly and began to torque down the nut. It goes to about 5 threads deep and the whole drivetrain wants to bind. The truck is up on a drive on lift, parking brake engaged. What am I doing wrong? I really need to figure this out by tomorrow, supposed to be going out of town over the weekend.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
is it a crush sleeve axle? most Dana are not so you just torque it down to spec.
a pinion nut is often a stover style locking nut as well

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What size impact are you using? Did you inspect the threads to see if you possibly boogered them up?
yea the nut turns on fine by hand. I hit it with a 3/4 impact with 1000 ft lb + capable. Didn't budge. I ordered the drive flange install tool about an hr ago. But I see guys on here doing it all the time without it. Guess I'm the unlucky few.

is it a crush sleeve axle? most Dana are not so you just torque it down to spec.
a pinion nut is often a stover style locking nut as well
Shimmed rearend. Had my tq wrench set to 495 ft lb. Truck is on the lift and the gear was just binding and nut wasn't moving even the slightest bit. I used the old nut until I figured this out because Fastenal ordered me the wrong nut.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts