Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a passenger side wheel bearing go out on me and when it did it took out a lot of surrounding parts with it from what my mechanic said(I don't trust my mechanical ability yet with axles). I'm getting a full list of everything tomorrow of what would need to be replaced. My question for y'all is should I just suck it up and pay the extra money to do a Dana 60 swap or stay with stock set up and rebuild. If I were to rebuild I would do it completely because everything on there is original with 152k miles. My mechanic suggests staying with stock set up because he isn't crazy about aftermarket stuff. My father of course sides with him because the mechanic knows more than I do and my father isn't educated enough to have his own opinion on the D60 swap. So I need to hear the pros and cons of each from y'all so that we can make a decision. If we rebuilt my dad wants me to source most of the non-wear parts that broke from the local junkyard, which is full of almost all I-beam axles so the truck would have to be down awhile for me to source the parts which is not good.

·
Registered
909 Posts
No one on here is going to tell you to dump that much money into the TTB rather than just get a 60. I dont put a penny into a TTB. Ive swapped a few trucks and its so much better. If you can find a 60 for a good price its the way to go hands down.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well maybe a better thing to ask of y'all would be WHAT exactly makes the D60 better than the TTB?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Less wear parts, a d60 truck surprisingly rides better than a ttb, then it gives you the option for an rsk in the future to get the best ride, its stronger, its a really simple swap from what i hear, basically all signs point towards 60 hahahha

·
Daily Stroker
1,680 Posts
Dana 60 is a straight axle where the dana 50 is IFS.. The ifs wears out horribly and is hard to keep aligned. Mud trucks, rock crawlers, monster trucks, etc.. all use straight axles.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Find a 60 from same generation truck. Basicaly a direct bolt in. Or find what you need from a bone yard for the 50. 1000's of them out there.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can get a kingping axle that is rebuilt and has everything needed to run it except a track bar relocation bracket I would need for my lift springs for $850. Good deal?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL good one brad

·
Registered
77 Posts
Less wear parts, a d60 truck surprisingly rides better than a ttb, then it gives you the option for an rsk in the future to get the best ride, its stronger, its a really simple swap from what i hear, basically all signs point towards 60 hahahha
this is not always true. i had a 85 i swapped and it rode like crap then cornered even WORSE.

there is one more u joint in the axle... so as far as more wear parts. yes, one.

I can get a kingping axle that is rebuilt and has everything needed to run it except a track bar relocation bracket I would need for my lift springs for $850. Good deal?
depending on what you can get the dana 60 for it might be worth just swapping in a goof axle.

take it from someone who has done both, swapped in a 60, vs rebuilding a ttb.

my ttb handles better, rides better and is tight driving down the road. it cost me 450 to do everything, all wheel joints, upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, rotors and pads. truck drives like a dream. these were all moog and PREMIUM pats too. could be done cheaper.

im only 25, no experience doing axles and i didnt have trouble. no special tools needed other than some snap ring pliers, wheel bearing nut socket and pickle forks.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh. When I said 850 for rebuilt I was talking about yours. I thought yours was rebuilt

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it's worth that much then why do I keep seeing so many for sale under a grand. Including brads?

·
Registered
660 Posts
If you do get a 60 and it needs rebuilt it is not cheap. If you are tight on money, I'd rebuild the 50. If you aren't afraid to drop some coin get a 60 rebuild it throw it under there and forget about it for a long time. I've had hit and miss with the dana TTB. My 96 needed ball joints and u joints and tie rods at about 135,000 miles, so I swapped in a 60 (bought the whole truck for $800) parted everything but the front axle and got about $1,200.....leaving me with $400 profit which pretty well rebuilt the 60. I was VERY LUCKY. My dad's 84 f250 has the TTB but it's a 44, pretty much the same thing but smaller spindles and wheel bearings/hubs. It's all original except for 1 set of ball joints, u joints and 1 set of tie rods. 270,000+ miles wears tires perfect. Not sure why it lasted as well as it has.

·
Registered
77 Posts
if it was rebuilt its worth 1000+

if the condition is unknown then its a guessing game. if they let you take the cover off and check the diff and it checks out the value jumps up, then so on and so forth, if the ball joints are shot, there is over a hundred bucks right there.

you could buy an axle and for 800 then have to put 400 into it.

in my case i traded a 460 motor for a entire truck, unknown the me the truck was used as a logging rig and the entire axle had to be gone through. ended up costing me a ton, then the thing rode like ####.

as you can tell I am now biased, hence me building my ttb. i knew what i had there. lol.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So probably close to 600 to rebuild ttb(including labor) or 800 to a thousand for a stronger, but lower ride quality solid axle

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Prices are largely dictated by regional demand. Rockcrawler guys all want kingpin Dana 60s, so in the western US they are hard to find and expensive when you do find one.

The TTB does have more moving parts. How many pivot points does a Dana 60 have fore example? Oh that's right, none.

I swapped mine for a Dana 60 about a year ago. I paid $800 for everything needed for the swap including the driveshaft. I also got the F350 leaf springs and the guy threw in the shock towers and shocks (same as what I already had). Mine was pretty beat externally. I swapped out every bearing other than the pinion and carrier bearings, all the seals, ball joints, and all bushings. The draglink and tie rod pieces are also new and my leaky steering box was replaced at the same time. I probably have 1500 into mine and it was worth every penny. That impression depends highly on one's disposable income though.

It rides 100% better than the D50, which is mainly because my springs were shot and sitting on the bumpstops at rest. It also handles way better because it now has an anti-sway bar not available with the D50.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So would I need a new driveshaft and shock towers with a 60? And what else would I need to source

·
Registered
77 Posts
Prices are largely dictated by regional demand. Rockcrawler guys all want kingpin Dana 60s, so in the western US they are hard to find and expensive when you do find one.

The TTB does have more moving parts. How many pivot points does a Dana 60 have fore example? Oh that's right, none.

I swapped mine for a Dana 60 about a year ago. I paid $800 for everything needed for the swap including the driveshaft. I also got the F350 leaf springs and the guy threw in the shock towers and shocks (same as what I already had). Mine was pretty beat externally. I swapped out every bearing other than the pinion and carrier bearings, all the seals, ball joints, and all bushings. The draglink and tie rod pieces are also new and my leaky steering box was replaced at the same time. I probably have 1500 into mine and it was worth every penny. That impression depends highly on one's disposable income though.

It rides 100% better than the D50, which is mainly because my springs were shot and sitting on the bumpstops at rest. It also handles way better because it now has an anti-sway bar not available with the D50.
nailed it on the head with the market value, i live in northern california and they are very sought after here...

as for the riding better, your opinion is skewed, you say yourself the springs were shot and the addition of a sway bar. both things could have been done to a ttb to achieve like results...

1 - 20 of 175 Posts