Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to try to get a D60 from a guy and have a drive shaft question.

The donor truck is a '95 350 4x4 SRW with a 5sp. My truck is a 96 250 4x4 with an E4OD. Should I include the drive shaft and TC yoke or would it be a waste of time/money? Would my shaft on the 250 suffice in this case..maybe or should I forgo the drive shaft and just get the yoke?

He also calls this axle a "lefthand drop"..... I got nothing...what does that mean?

Did the search and didn't quite find what I was after. I was in a slight hurry, so my Search Fu may be weak.:pointlaugh:

Any thoughts?

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
I personally would get the driveshaft and yolk. But the 95 yolk(1356t-case) will not fit your 96(4407 t-case). And the 5speed driveshaft will be shorter than what you need. but you can just get it retubed and find a 4407 F350 yolk for your case

Ford didnt put in the double cardian driveshaft in the F350s for the hell of it. W the d60 and the added height, it puts the driveshaft at a more severe angle, necessitating the double cardian joint

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that helps...and then adds yet another piece to the puzzle. Story of my life.:doh: I'll check, he may have another xfer case...I know he has several. Whether or not they are the right ones and have yokes is another question. If all goes as I want....lol.....I should be able to get all this for 950 or so....including the springs and blocks for the read end. Its either do this or spend 6-700 rebuilding my stock axle.:badidea:

Any clue on the Lefthand drop?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it looks like I have everything but the sway bar (truck didn't have it) and yoke (sold previously) which I could not use anyway. It may be missing the rear blocks, too....but I could maybe fab them up. I'll probably not have to touch it ...only 55k miles.:bowfast:

Do any tech drawings of those rear blocks exist?

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Well, it looks like I have everything but the sway bar (truck didn't have it) and yoke (sold previously) which I could not use anyway. It may be missing the rear blocks, too....but I could maybe fab them up. I'll probably not have to touch it ...only 55k miles.:bowfast:

Do any tech drawings of those rear blocks exist?
I wouldnt count on not touching it. Seals are probably dry from being 20+ years old and the u-joints are probably seezed.

F350 blocks are just 3" wide and 4" tall

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Yes, grab the front driveshaft and have it re-tubed like Brad said. I did the same when I did my conversion.

What I think he means by left hand, is the D60 spins backwards because it's positioned opposite of the rear. The yoke faces backwards.

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will have the shaft. I get class 8 truck shafts resized all the time. One of the things I do is stretch class 6-8 trucks....so, its old hat. Left deal makes sense. May very well be what he meant.

Brad, it was the same dood that I got my engine from...he has been working on it and saving it for himself all this time....says it is in ready to go shape. He is a straight shooter, so I guess I'll see.

3x4 blocks are simple to fab. I have some 1" plate around here somewhere....I think.

OH, I forgot...has only one front spring. Will have to get the springs...or have a set made. Either way.

·
BrokeAss
841 Posts
By my experience people call it a left hand drop because the transfer case and pumpkin on the front axle are on the left hand side (drivers side) unlike chebby's or whatever.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
By my experience people call it a left hand drop because the transfer case and pumpkin on the front axle are on the left hand side (drivers side) unlike chebby's or whatever.
:whs: the older chevys and dodges were right hand(passenger side). They FINALLY wised up and followed Ford's lead

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Makes sense. Well, I did get it all picked up this evening. He did have the springs after all!!! :bowfast: Looks like all I really need is a yoke and a sway bar. I'll either find or build the blocks. Now the work begins.:doh:

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Did the truck the axle came out of have a big block or diesel?

And good luck finding a yolk, no longer made and was only for 96/97

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its from the same truck my PSD came from....so, diesel. Looks to be on pretty good shape, too. Needs a clean up and twice over, but way more than serviceable.

Yoke could be an issue. Will have to hit the junk yards. I don't really anticipate that much trouble. There are way more trucks here than most places..just have to look. If not, I do know of a guy that could make one for me for a huge price.:eek: I've seen them make worse.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
The DS will be fine up to a RS kit with SD springs..leveled F350 height after that should change to a CV or get a drop TC ring.

If you want the best ride quality..PM me for info.

Cary

1 - 13 of 13 Posts