Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to buy a diff for the D60 going in my f250. Randy's Ring and Pinion recommends the Lock-Right for my application. Mainly a street truck used for pulling tractors and such out of the mud on occassion.

Anyone running one? How do you like it? Randy's site says not for high horsepower or big tires. Any input?

Would I just be better off with a Detroit?

I know in the snow and such they can be a handfull but you can leave one hub unlocked when you dont need the full locker.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
I would personally avoid the lockright, it's nowhere near as strong as a Detroit.

It's not recommended for high hp, big tires, or diesels per the manufacturer's sales rep I talked to in person a few years ago, when he was at the tech college I was attending.

Dave

·
Registered
300 Posts
Why not a selectable locker? say an ARB?

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I had a lock rite in a toyota pickup I used for mudding, it barely lasted 2 years with little use. I would not buy one. if you are planning on driving it on the street at all you should be using an arb, I've heard of nasty problems with a locker in the front.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not a selectable locker? say an ARB?
Cost and ease of installation.

I had a lock rite in a toyota pickup I used for mudding, it barely lasted 2 years with little use. I would not buy one. if you are planning on driving it on the street at all you should be using an arb, I've heard of nasty problems with a locker in the front.
Well, I have manual hubs. If I need something where a one wheel wonder would be better, ice and such, I can leave one hub unlocked.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Cost and ease of installation.

Well, I have manual hubs. If I need something where a one wheel wonder would be better, ice and such, I can leave one hub unlocked.
In theory that sounds like it will work....but in real world use...not so much...with an open diff either side could spin or drive...Usually the one with the most traction is doing nothing while the one spinning spins like mad....with a locker with one hub unlocked the one that is locked is always driving and will pull hard one way or the other...In alot of ways it's worse than having a full locker with both hubs locked. That type of one-wheeled wonder will handle worse than a full on locker.

A lunchbox locker is not going to hold up. If your reasoning for wanting a lock-right is for cost and ease of installation, you're going about it all wrong...I've been down this road, but some of us have to learn from our own mistakes.

Consider a true-trac or something more limited slip. But again that requires a carrier change and gear set up...Something I have a hunch you are trying to avoid, right?

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In theory that sounds like it will work....but in real world use...not so much...with an open diff either side could spin or drive...Usually the one with the most traction is doing nothing while the one spinning spins like mad....with a locker with one hub unlocked the one that is locked is always driving and will pull hard one way or the other...In alot of ways it's worse than having a full locker with both hubs locked. That type of one-wheeled wonder will handle worse than a full on locker.

A lunchbox locker is not going to hold up. If your reasoning for wanting a lock-right is for cost and ease of installation, you're going about it all wrong...I've been down this road, but some of us have to learn from our own mistakes.

Consider a true-trac or something more limited slip. But again that requires a carrier change and gear set up...Something I have a hunch you are trying to avoid, right?
When I said cost and ease of installation it was more along the lines of spending $800 for a carrier plus an air pump or running wires for an e-trac. I want a stand alone unit.

A true-trac would be fine if it will hold up.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Then it sounds like for all around use the true trac would be your best bet. Full carrier, stand alone, but without most of the drawbacks of a full on locker and much stronger than a lock right IMO.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
why not a e locker? just have to run a wire to it ?

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No more than I really need it don't want to spend $800+.

I doubt I will ever need it for my uses but since I have to regear the Dana 60 that I am using I might as well put something in it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I dont't know how the tru tracs hold up in the front, but I have one in the rear of my truck and I haven't had a problem w/ it yet.

·
Underfunded
431 Posts
I have a lockrite in my front Dana 60, im running a high hp an high tq application with 37's, the lockrite has stood up to 2 yrs of abuse an everything else has broken around it cept for the ring + pinion, i.e. manual lockouts, u-joints, bearings.
They probably arent as good as a detroit, however if your not crawling around rocks with 53's you'll be fine.
Oh an ive pulled many tractors out of the cabbage pits of the west, not to mention skidding timber.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts