Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything I read refers to doing the RS & SD springs.

Is it possible to slide out my D50 and bolt the D60 into place keeping all the stock suspension? Are there issues with this? Will all the stock steering components work?

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
The IFS (stock) springs have significantly stiffer spring rates because the IFS suspension works "independantly" of each respective front wheel and therefor is much higher (rated) then say F350 OBS Monobeam (D60) springs. The ride is much much stiffer....mine came that way from the PO....and I switched to SDs right away....the ride is very harsh....

The reason most guys go with the Super Duty springs and Reverse Shackle Kit is improved ride and better handling. As SD springs are overall about 6" longer then the stockers you need to move the front hangers about 3" forward so you need new spring hangers anyways.....and by changing the shackles to the rear of the spring, improves ride and handling significantly.

Your stock F250 IFS steering parts will not work you need the D60 parts....everything below the steering box should be F350 OBS parts...

jrc

·
Registered
38 Posts
i have similar question...
if i buy a f350 dually (i found a 95 with running, weak, 7.3, $1800) can i swap the axles from it into my f-250?

up front, i notice it has the hub that pushes the dually wheel out. is that a bolted on piece that can be removed for running a regular wheel? or would i have to run the dually wheel up front? and are the front springs on teh OBS f350 different than the front springs on the f250 (solid front on f350 vs ifs on f250)?

for the rear, is the dual wheel adapter removable? or is it a permanent part of the axle? and if i pull the springs from the rear of the dually, can i use them on my f250 by bolting the overload plates to the frame? and would that essentially make my f-250 an f350? or are there other differences?

i cant see them making a totally separate axle for the dually when they have single rear wheel f-350s, but i have been wrong before...

thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
Actually i think the spindles are the same, the knuckles may be the same, and the brakes match up perfectly.

·
Registered
388 Posts
So I'd have to use everything from the hub out from my ifs?
It depends on the years of the truck, the actual bearing hub should work regardless of if the rotors will work or not.

What year is your truck?
What year is the donor truck? Worst case scenario you'll have to use the rotors and calipers off the donor truck and your bearing hubs and lockouts of your choice. If your lucky the donor axle and your axle will be of the same brake ranges and it'll all just work.

On my swap, my truck is a '96 and my D60 was from a '97, so I just unbolted my calipers, slide ttb out, rolled D60 and bolted calipers back on, didn't even bleed the brakes.

Remember that you will need the F350 pitman arm as well, the taper is different than your F250 pitman arm as well.

Justin

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
If the dually in question is a cab & chassis you can only use the front dana 60 axle. The spring perches on the rear are too narrow for a pickup. Unless you cut off the perches & reweld them. As far as the Dana 60 off a dually goes, just pull the rotors off & unbolt the dually spacers. Install the lug nuts in it's place & your good. For springs find a set of factory 350 OBS springs. Otherwise with your old warped 250 springs it will be like riding a pogo stick.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Remember that you will need the F350 pitman arm as well, the taper is different than your F250 pitman arm as well.
Is the pitman arm that much diffrent? I reused my stocker both times & have no steering or alignment issues.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My truck is a 94 f250

Donor is a 95 f350 dually

What about driveshafts? Are they the same between the two trucks?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Is the pitman arm that much diffrent? I reused my stocker both times & have no steering or alignment issues.
Didn't you have to cut the adj sleave and weld two together to use the stock ttb tie rod end at the pitman arm to connect to the F350 drag link?

Maybe they are not, for some reason I was under the impression the tapered whole for the tie rod end was different between F250/350...I changed mine anyway and it all bolted right up??

Justin

·
Registered
388 Posts
My truck is a 94 f250

Donor is a 95 f350 dually

What about driveshafts? Are they the same between the two trucks?
I'm wanting to say the brake rotors on the '95 are larger...also, the calipers are bolt on and the '94 would be the slide pins, but you should look to make sure, I can't remember the cut-offs.

As for driveshaft I think it will work, but if you have the donor truck there, you might as well grab the driveshaft out of it along with the yoke off the tcase so you can have the cv on the driveshaft.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,323 Posts
Didn't you have to cut the adj sleave and weld two together to use the stock ttb tie rod end at the pitman arm to connect to the F350 drag link?

Maybe they are not, for some reason I was under the impression the tapered whole for the tie rod end was different between F250/350...I changed mine anyway and it all bolted right up??

Justin
CUT AND WELD steering components? Are you nuts?:eek:

·
Registered
36 Posts
i used my pitman arm and dont have any issues

·
OBS PSD Owner
10 Posts
I recently did the d60 swap on my '96 using an axle off a '92. Everything was the same on the brakes, didn't have to change driveshaft, didn't have to change pitman arm either (everthing fits). Just be sure to get all brackets for the sway bar and traction bar with the axle or you will have to make them yourself like I did. I had to drill holes in my frame for the sway bar brackets, but that was it. I kept my ttb springs, it rides rough, but it sure is a lot better than having to pay the money it would take to buy SD springs and all that other crap. If I were to do it again, I would get the brackets, and the 350 springs with the axle, but I got this one with all steering parts for only $400, so I can't really complain. Swap is definitly worth doing, and be sure to replace anything that you think is worn out on the new axle before you put it in, trust me it is much easier to work on things when you arn't under a truck.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Its not that expensive..to have the best riding Ford truck...lot easyer to just do it once also. We have everything needed to fix your ride quality..:poke:

·
Registered
388 Posts
CUT AND WELD steering components? Are you nuts?:eek:
I am not, no, however on one of these forums there are pics of someone cutting two adjuster sleeves apart and welding them together, this is what made me think I needed a different pitman arm, and is why I purchased one as to not do this.

i used my pitman arm and dont have any issues
:doh: I had it in my head that the pitman arms were different....guess that was a waste, I somehow had it in my head that they were different.

oh well, its getting reaplaced anyway, cause I didn't have the money to go SD springs when I did the axle swap, so its getting a drop pitman arm now anyway....oh, well.

Justin

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am mainly looking for a bolt up design with out much lift. Can I just bolt in the F350 springs out of an OBS truck to my 250?

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts