Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be buying tires in the next couple weeks. The tire will be a BFG A/T but am trying to decide whether to use D or E rated tires? I am leaning towards E because they have black walls. But how will the ride be effected?

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
the d or e has a blackwall. e's are tougher, more ply's for more weight which means you can haul more.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought the Ds only came in white letter but could be reveresed, which I hate the look.

How's the ride on the Es?

·
Still learning
577 Posts
On 99.9% of tires that have white letters its only on one side so you can chose which side you want to show

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
i dont know about the ride on the e's, it might be a lil harsher but im sure a tire pressure adjustment could take care of that. ive got the d's with the white letters in i think all BFG AT's have one side black and one white so either way youll have white on the inside.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Es have a black wall....my dealer has them in stock.

I'll go with the Es

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Check to see the specific tire carry capacity intesting that some manufacturer rate differently, i.e some that are rated D actually will carry E rated of other manufactuer. In other works BFG AT "E" rated might have the same carry capacity as Dick Cepek Fun County II "D" rated at 3450lbs per tire.

I know that lots like the AT I used too as well....but have found the Dick Cepeks FC II to be a better longer lasting tire for what I do. 85% highway 15% off road. Check out sipping if you want max tire life too...

·
Scab
1,296 Posts
I like to use E range tires. I just think that they seem to hold up better under the weight of our trucks. Of course this is just opinion no actual evidence.

·
Need a ride.
553 Posts
JCart has a good point, some D rated tires might only be of load carring capacity by a hundred pounds or so so you should be good but just remember, and I know this because I went from a E rated 10 ply tire to a D rated 8 ply. The 8 ply has less stiffness going around corners and turning, meaning, more body roll so to speak. The 10 ply E rated are more stable and stiff on cornering. My vote if towing and better handling, E rated 10 ply at the least.

·
Word
608 Posts
When dealing with a heavy duty truck like a F250/F350 diesel, I would go with the 10 ply E load rated tire...for the simple fact of stronger sidewall and less flex in the tire...I run Toyo Open Country MT's 35x12.50 and they're E load rated....if you're going up in tire size than the stiffer the sidewall the better.

·
<---new toy
856 Posts
Ok here it is... D range tires are more suited for 1/2 ton trucks. only 6 ply's. If you drive fast like I do then they act like a drag tire. the faster you go the taller it get's, this means you wear the middle out sooner. Load range E tires are more suited for 3/4, 1 ton trucks. a D range has a capacity of max 60 to 65 PSI where the E's run a maximum of 80 PSI. you do not have to run the max in the tire. I have an 09 Dually and i run the tires at 55 PSI. they are load range E. there is a margin for you. The E's are more money, but you will hate it when you buy the D's and the tread is gone in 20 to 30 thousand miles. JMO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts