Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have done tore this truck apart and still cant figure it out,maybe someone can tell me somethn to check that i have missed. It will crank and run fine then it may run sluggesh or if u try to get in the throttle it will just bog but if u back off and ease into the throttle it will go pretty good,but then a minute later it will run fine.But this is where it gets good,it will start to jump and buck and everything else and just cut off,and u may crank on it for an hour or a minute and it will crank back up and u may drive a mile or a hundred miles and do it again. done changed CPS 3 times,no good,checked for codes and dont have any,changed fuel filter no good,put another computer in it and didn help,i put a guage on it to watch the fuel pressure and just sitting in the yard and when it starts runnig bad and cuts off the fuel pressure is still up. I am just absolutely lost is there somethn somewhere im missing? This is an OBS 350 to.

·
Inmate #1
418 Posts
Fuel bowl heater? Valvecover harness pins? FPR screen clean?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive checked the screen. dont no about the valve cover pins or the heater. How could the heater be a problem?

·
Inmate #1
418 Posts
If that heater puck in the fuel bowl is shorting to the side of the bowl, it will shut the truck off like you turned the key off.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has anyone ever had problems with thepart that swaps the to tanks over? And i was wondering should the fuel pressure drop when i get in the throttle? I would think it sgould stay the same or go up.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well ive checked all that except the fuel bowl heater and still will not start. All the fuses look good to,just dont no which ones are what. which wire on the side is the fuel bowl heater?

·
Registered
31 Posts
next time it dies like that take a look inside the hpop res see if it is empty.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I havnt looked in it but the last time it did i put a guage between the line goin to the head and it had pressure,the guage only went to 500psi and it broke the guage so it had pressure. I need some diagrams or somethn one some of the wires to check cause its dead again and im just lost on what to check. Dont no what else to do.

·
Premium Member
15,561 Posts
Has anyone ever had problems with thepart that swaps the to tanks over? And i was wondering should the fuel pressure drop when i get in the throttle? I would think it sgould stay the same or go up.
yes the valve has given some people problems....not the switch but the valve that is down on the frame rail.

and yes fuel pressure will drop if you have the stock mech fuel pump.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea i was wondering if thats my problem but i dont think it is now and yea it has the stock pump on it. I think its gettn fuel just not no fire or power or whatever to where ever. Never have had a problem out of this truck and now the last 2 weeks it has drove me crazy and cannot figure out anything.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea its has that,its somethn else i think cause u can keep cranking on it and it mite crank up and run just fine and then kick and buck and shut off and u can crank and crank and crank and it mite fire back up and run for 30 min and then do the same again,i think theres somethn electrical goin bad somewhere just dont no what the hell to look for,ive done pulled my hair out on this.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea it cranked up this morning and i drove it to the store to put some diesel in it,about a 2 miles from home and came home and it died in the yard and ive been cranking on it all day long and it has cranked up one time for about 2 minutes and shut off and has not cranked since ,so u tell me? lol

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not a real good one or one that can do a buzz test but i scanned it this evening again just to see and it shows no codes.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
I would check the fuel pressure while getting on it going down the road, you can have sufficient pressure while idling but it may drop to nothing when you load the engine. A few psi drop would be acceptable, but it should not drop to 30psi or lower.

The tank selector valves did have some problems. You can bypass it with a length of 3/8" hose.

The first thing I would do though is hook a scan tool up to it. That is the easiest thing to do and doesn't even require lifting the hood. You'll need a good scan tool like Auto Enginuity, the factory scan tool, or one from Snap-On. Autozone won't be able to read the codes on your truck.

If you get codes post them up, I always start there first unless I don't have my laptop and Auto E.

Dave

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I put a guage on the lines that feed into the head and watched it when i drove it and it would have about 60psi at idle and it would drop to maybe 35 when gettn on the throttle but when it died it still had fuel pressure so i kinda eliminated the fuel system,even when im cranking on it ,it goes to about 60. it seems to be electrical to me cause it just seems like u turn the key off. A friend has the superchips programmer that will scan codes and the first time it cut off it showed the cam sensor so i changed that and it cranked up,but after that its still doin the same thing but it does not show any codes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts