Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
RDRCM
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cut the rear bumper brackets a few weeks ago, but it made the hitch stand out that much more. I pulled the hitch only to see a nasty spare tire, so i pulled both. The spare has been riding under the tonneau, but I have had not hitch since then. I did some searching online but only found hidden hitches rated at 5K. I was also concerned that the new hitch may not line up with the very narrow hole the factory bumper has to offer. I started measuring and cutting Thursday of this week, working on a it a few hours at time. I finished it yesterday, apart form what I'll be doing with the rear license plate. I can't find a flip bracket that is slim enough to not look like Mikey's ass. I'm leaning toward an 1/8" plate welded to a 2" receiver, removed when i want to tow.

The rear bumper was moved forward 3/4" and up 1/2".

Tha factory receiver was moved forward 5-3/4", crossbar flipped 180 degrees, then moved up 2-3/8".

Attachments

·
Sofa King Cool
2,827 Posts
Looks awesome Bryan! Gotta love the detail you put into that truck!

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
:whs:

love the attention to detail on every inch of the truck, and all the better when you come up with it and build it all your own.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
3,067 Posts
What the hell, your truck is dirty:poke: Looks good:D

·
Attention Whore
5,183 Posts
That's how mine is...plate welded to a cut off ball mount and pinned into the reciever. Works perfectly.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Looks awesome. Great idea on the plate mount.

·
F350 Balla
269 Posts
I love it!! My only questions is this - do you have to crawl under the truck to get the pin in?

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
looks great. i need to look into doing that to my ranchhand

·
F350 Balla
269 Posts
I'm sold... If I had somewhere else to put a spare, I'd be asking if you would do another one, lol. From your description, there'd be no way to have a spare under there and the modified hitch, correct?

That's awesome!

Will also look into that pin... looks like one heck of a good idea. Where did you get it?

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Budro try a mid to later 70s F-body(camaro/firebird) license plate holder/flipper downer thing.

·
F350 Balla
269 Posts
That's a great idea...

If not one of those, then I bet one of the 80's G-body (I think that's right), like a Regal or Monte Carlo would have one, as well as the box/bubble (Cant believe I'm using those terms) Caprices also had one that would fold/flip.

·
Registered
911 Posts
3rd gen f-bodies also have flip down plates

·
Attention Whore
5,183 Posts
I had a flip down plate originally on mine but I had to use a ball mount extension to clear the plate since the hitch was tucked in so far.
It's definitely an option though.

·
RDRCM
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Flip plate is done, just haven't taken pictures. I didn't use the store bought flip mounts because they all look like ass from above. When they are used on a factory setup, or even a roolpan, they are tucked into a pocket and you never see the bracket. When you install them flush on a bumper it's all there for the world to see. I used 3/16 plate and piano hinge, and made it flip up. I don't have to use a ball mount extension, but I'm running a modified adjustable pintle ball mount that's rated for 12,500. When the hitch is installed, the plate rests on the draw bar at exactly 90°, and the ball is 3-4" beyond the end of the plate. I'll try and get some pictures up this week.

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
Man i have to say, you do some quality work.

·
Attention Whore
5,183 Posts
Turned out very nice. Can you spin your hitch around and tuck it into the reciever backwards for storage ?

·
Scab
1,296 Posts
Unbroken - Is your setup like this done with a roll pan? I would love to see one.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts