Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Military Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I would post my build for this here. This is something I'm doing on the side (not during work hours) while also renovating one of my bathrooms and being a father.

Now for the pics.... since everyone loves pics....

Making the braces for between the subs. Removing excess material as to preserve air space. Rounding over the edges to get rid of hard corners.

Braces and sides made.

Mock up of the box (held together with Clamps) with braces installed.

Shot down the middle of the braces.... Just for fun.

Laying out the subs (Phoenix Gold SX 8's) to determine bracing (port) space.

Figuring out max depth for port.

More to come. I should have time tonight to work on it a bit.

·
Military Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now time for some bracing. I used .5" MDF to maximize airspace but still need it to be strong. So i added bracing to the majority of the joints to achieve this. This also cuts down on hard angles which we know acoustics love ((wink, wink)).

For the pics.

The front face of the box will have two layers of .5" MDF which will allow for an inset PG logo and the ability to flush the woofers in the box.

Here are the steps it took to make the outer template and the ring which will be press fit into the outer ring which is already gapped for dual vinyl.

Over cut the the center piece to close the gap between the center and the template

Gap is now smaller 1/16" all around to allow for double vinyl

Made a duplicate of the center piece and then ran a 1/2 rabbit bit around the bottom piece.

I wasnt happy with the size of the piece so i did another pass with the rabbit with a larger bearing on it.

Then i stacked the piece and cut the smaller piece out of the middle of the larger piece i made earlier.

45 degree chamfer bit on the inside edge. and the insert is done.

Here it is inside the outer template.

More to come soon......

·
Registered
75 Posts
Moar moar moar!!

God I love those router bits, and your table. Would love to be able to spend the cheddar to pick some of that stuff up!

Nice work!

·
Military Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^ HAHA. Thanks for the compliments guys. Not a whole lot of progress but i did get to sling a bit of sawdust last night cutting some "Perfect Circles"

Here is a pic where I drew everything on the box to make sure it fit on the box like it did in my head!!

Shot of the back of the woofers I'm using.

Cutting some circles and making sure I don't have much movement while the woofer is in the opening.

Set in the box to make sure there were no clearance issues. (i had measured 12 times before to verify there wouldn't be)

Second front layer. This time the holes were cut to go around the outside of the woofers to get them a flushed look.

With speakers installed. Neither of the front plates have been attached to the box at this point.

That's where I'm at for now. Had to help a buddy build a speaker enclosure / dry box for his air boat.

More to come soon!!

·
Military Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Military Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not much progress in the last few weeks due to attending the SEMA show and the bathroom remodel I have going on but i got a few hours of work in the past two nights.

I chamfered the openings on the top plate to make everything flow better and make it easier to wrap in vinyl.

Then I added threaded inserts into the mounting surface so that the speakers could be bolted in and not screwed in. I used a little CA Glue to ensure they wouldn't budge.

Trimmed the port opening with a flush trim router bit.

Here is how it sits for now.

That's all for now.

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
Meticulous detail dude! What's the Xmax / mounting depth on those subs?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not much progress in the last few weeks due to attending the SEMA show and the bathroom remodel I have going on but i got a few hours of work in the past two nights.

I chamfered the openings on the top plate to make everything flow better and make it easier to wrap in vinyl.

Then I added threaded inserts into the mounting surface so that the speakers could be bolted in and not screwed in. I used a little CA Glue to ensure they wouldn't budge.

Trimmed the port opening with a flush trim router bit.

Here is how it sits for now.

That's all for now.
You want to duplicate this box for JL Audio 8w3? 05 F350 Crew cab.

·
PSN Local
39 Posts
Lookin good!

·
Registered
102 Posts
hey i know this thread is a few months old, but i was curious..what part of tampa are you in? im in tampa as well, i'd love to hear this if you're near by, wanting to do something like this in my 04 crew cab f350, really curious how this sounds!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Has there been any progress with this? Are you having to move the seat at all? How much clearance is there between the seat and subs for excursion? I was thinking of using 5 crossfire C7 8's in a ported enclosure, but I'm not sure on the depth, they're 7.5" deep. I was thinking of using fiberglass on the back wall to save some depth. But I don't know if that will work or not.

Anyway, was just checking progress.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sorry I didn't mean 5 I meant 4.

I'd probably run dual 2 ohms subs. That way I can run them series/parallel and get a 1 ohm load out of them. They're RMS rated at 1000 watts a piece, and I have an Ampere 3800.1 which is underrated and runs about 4k at 1 ohm. I could run d4's and run at .5 ohms, and get more out of the amp but then I start loosing efficiency etc and I'm not really that worried bout all that. I'm not competing. It'd be for self enjoyment and demoing on occasion, but not often. If I decided to, I could also run a pair of 2000.1 amps (1 per pair) at 1 ohm and get more out of them. But I have the 3800 and I only have 1 2000.1.

Those c7's are just pretty beefy so I'm not sure if I can even get them back there, let alone in an enclosure big enough to do what I want.

·
Registered
75 Posts
At what impedance?
Sorry I didn't mean 5 I meant 4.

I'd probably run dual 2 ohms subs. That way I can run them series/parallel and get a 1 ohm load out of them. They're RMS rated at 1000 watts a piece, and I have an Ampere 3800.1 which is underrated and runs about 4k at 1 ohm. I could run d4's and run at .5 ohms, and get more out of the amp but then I start loosing efficiency etc and I'm not really that worried bout all that. I'm not competing. It'd be for self enjoyment and demoing on occasion, but not often. If I decided to, I could also run a pair of 2000.1 amps (1 per pair) at 1 ohm and get more out of them. But I have the 3800 and I only have 1 2000.1.

Those c7's are just pretty beefy so I'm not sure if I can even get them back there, let alone in an enclosure big enough to do what I want.

·
9,453 Posts
Just watch heat below 2 ohms. I'm well aware of the credentials of Ampere, I'm also well aware of an AA 7500.1 monoblock amp having major issues with heat dissipation and finally frying a power circuit after an hour of driving my HCCA's @ 1 ohm. The amp was mounted to the top of the sub enclosure in the trunk of the car, and there was plenty of snow on the ground, if that explains ambient temp. I replaced it with an oldschool Orion (pre-DEI) HCCA10000.1D now running at half ohm and zero issues. There's night and day difference between AA and Orion tho...

From what I read out of your description, you said you're going to run "dual 2 ohm subs." Does that mean you have 2 SVC @ 1ohm subs. Or does that 'dual' mean 2 DVC @ 1ohm per coil? If they're DVC you could get some more wiggle room, run the coils in series to get 2ohm per sub then parallel that (red of one sub's combined coils to red of the other) to your other sub wired the same way for 1ohm at the amp. I think you might already know this so I'm sorry for trying to re-telling you how to tie your shoes. Just love electrix and audio.

It's what's to be expected on a sub-$1k 'big power' amp but... At least they deliver what they claim. Another hillbilly quality test I employ is whether an amp labels itself by it's RMS or max power. Example being this 3800.1... It actually delivers 3800w RMS and that's what they named it. Not like the boatload of junk out there that names themselves as a 1000 or 5000 watt amp but that's only on a clear day while the moon is full on a major peak

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for the info. It's appreciated. I love it all too. I just wish I had more time to get this build under way. Soon, I hope.

Each sub is a DVC 2 ohm sub. If I wire them in series, I'll get 4 ohms, and then if I wire those in series, I get 2 ohms. If I wire them in parallel each I get 1 ohm each, and then if I wire them together, I get .5ohms.

I'll figure it out. I text Andrew this weekend, the owner of Ampere, and he said that a 2k would more than drive their 10's and would be fine at .5ohms. I'm not going to be playing full tilt all the time anyway, so that's something to consider as well.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate the info. Do you have a build log? I like to see other super duty builds. ALways looking for ideas.

·
9,453 Posts
I always put oomph in my vehicles.

Before we get into any shop talk tho, I wanna caution you about running multiple voice coils in sequence between multiple subs... Series is fine between coils in the same sub then to your amp, but when you sequentially involve multiple coils and multiple subs you get a resonant feedback. At lower power it's no big deal but when you're running snot it can be potentially damaging. Let me see if I can find more than just my opinion and link it.....

I can't find it on my phone, but I know one off the top of my head is the 'JL Audio Reference Manual' which was written by a couple guys at JL and contains a gold mine of info. I have the hardcopy at home but I'm sure its out there in Google land. I'll fill in when I get home.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts