Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine gave me a good hood off of his F150 he's scrapping so I can make into a cowl hood to put on my F250. Ill keep this updated with pictures and whatnot so everyone can see how it turns out and if I have any questions hopefully someone can answer em :psn:

Sean

·
airman
1,064 Posts
Please do! I don't like the only steel cowl hood for obs trucks and fiberglass would probably be just fine but I'm just not a fan.

·
Registered
487 Posts
ive seen this tried several times, it will crack where you body fill the seam. good luck!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im going to weld the seem. And any filler used will be Fiberglass and not Bondo.

Sean

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
a friend of mine did this....just be careful not to overheat....

Chad

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Donor hood, 100% rust and dent free hood.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
I guess everyones idea of 100% rust and dent free is different:doh:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ill have to get a different picture after I wash the hood well and get it to somewhere where the damn thing dont reflect off of everhything in the background.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
Ill have to get a different picture after I wash the hood well and get it to somewhere where the damn thing dont reflect off of everhything in the background.
The reflection is good. Dents distort reflections. So it makes the dents easier to find

·
Registered
487 Posts
Now you need a NEW hood

·
Registered
44 Posts
Fatsix, nice work. It's good to see someone who weld low & slow like your supposed to. I love it when guys stitch sheetmetal 2" at a time & don't know why the panel looks like something the dog chewed up & spit out. The wheel houses??? are you enlarging them or replacing them, cause this shot looks like the lines are not 'just right'?
97Powerstroke Boy, good thing it's a spare hood your going to play w/. If you've never done this type of metal work, practice, practice, practice w/ similar guage metal first. Also, thinner cutoff wheels are what you want to slice the hood so there is less of a gap to make up.
Fatsix did you cut your hood on top of the hood or on the side (Cutoff wheel in the vertical or horizontal position) to "save" the body line?

·
Registered
69 Posts
My rebuild thread is here.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6983

The hood was cut between the body line on the side of the hood with an airsaw. I used the body line to determine the angle of the side of the cowl. I was having an issue with the wire feed on the welder. It kept jamming up and i had a lot of grinding to do. Sucks, but it is what it is. On top of it, the galvanized steel makes a mess of the welds, even ground when ground off first.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts