Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Still a kid to some ppl
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a diesel discussion at work 2 day. Friend has. 02 cclb 7.3 says he gits 17mpg stock unloded except for toolbox. Another has 01 chevy cclb 4" turbo back toolbox gits 18mpg. Another with 03 dodge cclb stock auto toolbox gits 23mpg. All auto all 4wd.... true or not?

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
Sounds about right to me. I get 21 out of my 12v.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
I had an '03 CCSB Cummins 6sp 4x4 4.10s & 35s. I got a consistent 18. My '94 Cummins 4x4 auto w 4.10s and dually got 17.

No offense to Iron but I just don't believe the low - mid 20s in a 4x4. Maybe a 2wd with 3.55 gears.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
@PSRumors-I get the occasional fluke tank where it is 20 or a little above when I figure it by hand. Its usually after a thorough servicing and drops off rather quickly. I had one this past summer that was at or above, slightly, the 20mpg mark. Right now though, im getting about 12, give or take, due to fuel, idling, and cold temps.

The 18 in the chevy is prolly close. Theyre light as a half-ton. The person getting 17 outta the 02 ford must be driving really careful or isnt figuring it right. A guy I worked with traded his 04 6leaker for a 05 ctd qc/lb with a 6spd and he drives like a dewsh and gets 19mpg's. I dont know what the secret is. I drive like I have an AARP card and I get in the high teens on a lifted cc/sb.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I get 12 towing 10k and above at 80 mph.

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
I had an '03 CCSB Cummins 6sp 4x4 4.10s & 35s. I got a consistent 18. My '94 Cummins 4x4 auto w 4.10s and dually got 17.

No offense to Iron but I just don't believe the low - mid 20s in a 4x4. Maybe a 2wd with 3.55 gears.
None taken. Mine is a 93 2wd hand shaker. It's suppose to get Better than a 4wd. Got a few friend with comparable cr 4x4s. They claim low mid 20s as well. I think there going off the idiot meter.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
None taken. Mine is a 93 2wd hand shaker. It's suppose to get Better than a 4wd. Got a few friend with comparable cr 4x4s. They claim low mid 20s as well. I think there going off the idiot meter.
Sounds like you and I are on the very same page. :D

When I bought my '94 all I was hearing was mid 20s. I quickly found out they were full of crap.

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
Sounds like you and I are on the very same page. :D

When I bought my '94 all I was hearing was mid 20s. I quickly found out they were full of crap.
This truck belonged to my grandfather. In the glove box is every reciept for fuel that was ever put in it. Starting at about 120 miles. ALL hand calculated. 18-20mpg. I got my trusty craftsman 12v flathead programmer out, and gained about 1 mpg.

·
Still a kid to some ppl
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was j/w.... sounded odd to me for that big of a truck and an auto at that...

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
i had an 05 SD 05 Chevy Duramax and an 07 Megacab all diesels all crew cab short beds...

NONE would get over 20 mpg consistently... the odd tank MIGHT get 20 in the dodge without stopping for an ENTIRE tank... but 23 NEVER on the best day. And my truck was tuned and a fuel mileage tune was an option

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dave I believe it. My girlfriends dad has an 06 4x4 ccsb auto that says on the computer he is getting around 24, and when he fills up its almost right on. The truck is bone stock other than a straight pipe. I dont think there are too many cummins out there getting this kind of mileage tho, most everyone I talk to get around 17. IMHO I consider his truck having a "fluke" motor.

p.s. regardless of the mileage, i still cant stand the feel of a dodge..

·
Going Crazy
1,533 Posts
We have an 04.5 Cr with just over 100k on it now all its got is a 5'' exhaust and it consistently turns in 23 mpg hwy it just kept getting better and better the more miles we put on it

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Those computers arent accurate or even close most of the time. Unless you consider an error % of 25+/- to be fairly precise. They almost always read higher than you can expect your hand calculations to be.

Ive seen those things tell me mid-upper twenties in both of my diesel sd's. The gas one was off too. It'd tell me that I was getting 16-18 but I never had a tank above 13, hand-calc'd.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Those computers arent accurate or even close most of the time. Unless you consider an error % of 25+/- to be fairly precise. They almost always read higher than you can expect your hand calculations to be.

Ive seen those things tell me mid-upper twenties in both of my diesel sd's. The gas one was off too. It'd tell me that I was getting 16-18 but I never had a tank above 13, hand-calc'd.
My boss has a '02 SD. His computer always showed 16 mpg until he "chipped it" and it now shows 24 mpg. The moron has not figured out he is still putting the same amount of fuel in the truck and no matter how many times I tell him he swears he is getting "mid 20s".

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
My boss has a '02 SD. His computer always showed 16 mpg until he "chipped it" and it now shows 24 mpg. The moron has not figured out he is still putting the same amount of fuel in the truck and no matter how many times I tell him he swears he is getting "mid 20s".
Sounds like my old boss with a f250 sc/lb 5.4...."this thing is good. It gets 20 miles to the gallon." I was driving a 2004 reg cab/lb with the same motor and getting around 11 most of the time. I let the stooges think they are getting that kind of mileage. I know my truck is capable of getting decent mileage and also very poor mileage. Keep the tires aired up and the foot light and I do alright.

·
Registered
65 Posts
FWIW, my dads cummapart LIE-o-meter says 27.6 MPG for this tank at 188 miles on the tank so far. He fills up at the same station every time and I will let yall know the hand-calc results.

This is SLOWLY getting up to speed and never getting above 65.( about 62MPH on highway). Daily commute of about 45 miles(few stop lights and stop signs). On the other tanks he usually averages ~22MPG on the lie o meter and ~18-19MPG hand calculated while NOT babying the truck.

Early 2004 CC/SB 4x4 6-Speed
5in exhaust, smarty, "boost elbow" on wastegate, stock size highway tires, and 110,000 miles.

Also in my truck my lie o meter says mid 20's. hand calculated it is ~13.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
That sounds about right. The lie-o-meter in my truck was always manually reset when I fueled up. It would say some crazy #### too. The one in my lincoln does it too. If you reset them you'll get crazy numbers and if you dont it'll go depressingly low. Those things suck and I pay no attention to them.

As I stated above, I know another ironworker who got rid of a 04 6L because of the fuel mileage. He replaced it with a 5.9l cr/ 6spd and he could drive it aggressively or carefully and he got 19mpg. It just ran that way. Thing is, I know more than one person with the exact same truck. His was the exception, not the rule.

·
Still a kid to some ppl
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yea... i figured it was bs...

1 - 20 of 113 Posts