Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to replace the 460/E4OD in my 1996 E-Super Duty Bus with a 12 valve Cummins and a 2006 5R110 trans that I have. I understand that I will have to have a PCS controller and the 5R isn't the easiest trans to tune, but I think it might be a good setup if I can make it work. I hear it works best with the stock 6.0 computer, but that sounds like a real can of worms. Can anyone add any input about my plans?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This maybe a crazy idea, but does anyone know just how tough it would be to use a factory computer from a 2006 E450 just to operate the 5R110 transmission? I know I would have to get a wiring harness and computer from a suitable donor. How would I find out exactly which circuits, wires, and sensors are required to operate the trans?

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
you might want to talk to the folks at DeStroked

but if shifting the 5r with just a 6.0 PCM was feasible you wouldn't need PCS controller for any swaps would you ? but you even need it for a cummins in to a 6.0 so ???
plus it needs a lot of input from the motor /cluster other sensors on the 6.0 remove the motor and you have issues

at least as far as I can guess but that's all I'm doing

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are probably right. At first everyone needed a PCS with the swap and now with proper tuning some are making the OEM computer working with the 5R with better results than the PCS. Just thought I'd throw it out there. You never know.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Talked with 2 different transmission tuner guys today. One said using an 03-04 Ford PCM and SCT tuner to control the 5R trans will work very well, the other said he is pretty sure it will work. Sounds like a fun project. I think I'm gonna do this.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been getting stuff ready for the swap. Got my adapter plate and flexplate from DCS. Frame mounted the battery boxes underneath the body, made new cables and installed dual batteries (cranks over the 460 REAL well). Changed the rear gear ratio from 4.63 to 3.73. Also trying to gather up all of the misc. pieces to make the swap. I want to attempt to do all I can before the actual swap so it won't drag out too long. The goal is to spend about 4-8 weeks removing the 460 and E4OD trans, setting the 12v Cummins and 5R110 trans in place and building the motor supports, re-locating the trans crossmember rearward, shortening the driveshaft, fabbing radiator, trans cooler, and intercooler mounts and plumbing, and of course doing all of the wiring changes for the gauges, cruise control and transmission computer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I decided to wait for cooler weather before I tackle the swap. Finally found an 04 F350 wiring harness to use for the PCM. Gathered up all of the sensors that I will need. Still need to build the crank position sensor bracket, adapter to mount the larger TM-21 A/C compressor, and fab the turbo down pipe. I'll get those done in the next couple of weeks.
In the mean time, I have been sorting out the dual A/C system and driving the bus quite a bit. The 3.73 gears are a real improvement on fuel mileage and engine noise. It lost a very little acceleration, but all of the other pluses more than make up for that. Swapped in a diesel instrument cluster and programmed the speedometer.

·
Fixing Broken Stuff
2,078 Posts
I'm subscribing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the A/C mount built, flange for the HE351 turbo, and the bracket for the crank pos. sensor. Sent off the 04 wiring harness and PCM to my transmission guru this week so he can "weed out" all of the non-used circuits. I'm in no hurry so it will probably take a few weeks to get the finished product back. After that, I will have just about everything ready for the swap. Probably start the real work in October.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got my transmission wiring harness from Custom Vehicle Services Saturday, so I started the swap this weekend. Began by removing the grill, headlights, everything from the front end between the fenders. Drained about 30 gallons of gas from the tank. Cut out the hole in the floor above the tank so I can remove the fuel pump module and replace with the pumpless diesel module.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pulled the 460 and trans. Cleaned up everything to get ready for the new engine. Things were REAL tight going in, but the Cummins squeezed by everything. With the rear 3 valve covers off, I had about 3/8" clearance height at the cowl. Once the oil sump cleared the crossmember, the engine had plenty of room to drop down. Got it blocked up and now I need to bolt up the transmission, get everything lined up, and build engine mounts and modify the trans crossmember. Looks like everything will be reasonably accessible.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I haven't been updating this thread as it seems to draw little interest but I am nearing the completion. After a few self-induced wiring problems and overall slow progress, I am about ready for a real test drive and looking forward to the tuning stage.

·
Administrator
8,250 Posts
Keep updating. I've been following. Just haven't had anything important to say

1 - 20 of 26 Posts