Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hear is the deal I am swapping out for a lecarra leather fat grip steering wheel and do not want to mount the cruise control buttons on the wheel itself... looking to mount them on the instrument cluster bezel... will fit nicely their and be very easy to access keeping my wheel looking clean... however I plan to keep the horn active in the wheel... need help from you guys out their to lead me to a diagram of the horn wiring as well as the cruise buttons... so I can dissect the harness and pull apart the correct wires... this way I can stay connected to the wheel contact ring / clock spring if you will for the horn... and move the others to the new button location... just from looking at the two button/ switches looks quite simple ... just two black ... two yellow ... two blue... and then the black horn contact as well as the yellow... just not sure what to or one I need to run only to the new horn contact with two contacts... sure one being ground and one line ... help please... I have looks through this forum and had no luck so far... thanks up front...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
finished the mod ... relocated the buttons to the dash bezel lower right hand side... looks factory... just had to scrounge up a second set of buttons out of a junk truck to make the extra connections... split the factory harness and pealed out the cruise wires from the clock spring and left the horn contact wires to connect to my new horn button spliced the cruise wires and ran them from the factory coupler to the lower dash panel ... man I tell you it looks like it was done at the factory... not as convenient as on the steering wheel but worth the sacrifice for the rocking new la carra fat wrap leather wheel... if anyone else wants to do this mod and needs some help let me know I can send pics and will upload some in a few days when I am completely finished with my muni rebuild...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thread is combined with my push button start thread subscribe to that as I will continue this information within that thread...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
decided to just run this thread here so we go ! this was quite a undertaking but not hard work at all... I know that sounds counter active but what I mean is that you will need some time a patients to do this mod but not a lot of skills ... lets start by pulling the steering wheel in my case I needed to replace my worn out wheel so I opted to move the cc buttons to a different location because their was no placement for them on the new steering wheel... here are a few pics of how I started this mod much more to come in the next few days stay tuned it will be worth it ! starting the zf6 f 650 swap today lots of work to be done, make sure to jack that thread when I get it uploaded it will be very interesting for sure... I say that after looking a dozens of others on this and many other forums... more cc relocation soon... thanks 1

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
take a look at this after spending a few hours with the wife scrounging around the junk yard we were able to find some old broken dash bezels to practice cutting out the holes for the cc buttons I wanted to be sure exact what size files would produce the exact contours for the buttons to snap into I needed a perfect tight fit to get the factory look... in the steering wheel the buttons are mounted with a soft rubber/vinyl surrounding them this makes the fir from ford more forgiving by mounting in the hard plastic it had to be dead on fit... more to come stay on this one check out my other threads the zf6 swap in under way now as well be sure to subscribe...

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
threw some more time at the rig today was able to pin point some of the wiring questions I was left to contemplate on exactly how I was going to iron out... here is what I came up with... the cruise control circuit is quite simple to break it down their is just three wires you need to dissect out of the very small harness to accomplish relocation... black... lt/blue/black... and yellow/gray... first you need to build your horn harness to retain your factory horn location to the clock spring... this is easy just pull the lt/blue/black from the socket leaving only the black and the yellow/gray wire intact these will connect to the two terminals of the horn button you choose to go with just grounding the horn circuit... what I say next is only what I speculate the yellow/gray wire is also connected to the cc/harness of the two buttons thinking that when the horn is depressed and the ground is present it must disable the speed control system much like hitting the brake or the off button of the system so I wired this back into the small harness that runs from the clock spring mounted to the column to where it connects to the main dash harness you are going to have to fab up your on extension harness from where ever you choose to mount your cc buttons to mate up to this connection coupler... I pulled the pins from the connector and soldered my harness directly to the corresponding color coded wires... that's it mod complete here is some more pics... make sure to take a look at my other threads... thanks !

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree good attention to detail!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks fellas ! I had a lot of fun doing this mod and it was not really that hard, if anyone else wants to ditch the old style worn out steering wheel for something else , this mod then becomes a must to learn... I had found some wheels like grant that would allow the attachment of their cc buttons but to me they just looked like a after thought , as you can see totally not my style !

·
Registered
213 Posts
Do you have a link to the wheel and adapters etc to make this wheel work? Thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
everything was purchased through jegs believe it or not... they were great dealing with la cara directly for me ... everything went pretty smooth for the most part ... just remember the black is always special order the stock style is polished aluminum... the adaptor hub is their part as well and bolts right up with just a bit of tweaking as I showed in the build ... very easy stuff ! good luck let me know if you need anything else... just text me it will bring you a faster response... 727-642-2277

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Looks like nice workmanship!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts