Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cruise control has quit working on me is there anything that I should check first that is a common problem? It is a 96 f-250cc bone stock besides tymar.

·
Team Shade-Tree Mechanic
635 Posts
Have you had the cruise recall taken care of yet? And I've been told the third brake light could cause issues if it burns out..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I personally have not done anything with any recall and the previous owner had not said anything about it. I will check on that. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just had my cruise worked on.Does you're horn work?There is what is called a clock spring in the steering wheel that runs the cruise.The horn is tied into this.useally if the horn doesnt work neither does the cruise.I just had this replaced on my 96.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just had my cruise worked on.Does you're horn work?There is what is called a clock spring in the steering wheel that runs the cruise.The horn is tied into this.useally if the horn doesnt work neither does the cruise.I just had this replaced on my 96.
Horn works had to stand on it yesterday because some idiot pulled out in front of me in a ford focus.

·
Senior Veteran Member
937 Posts
Check the contacts on the BO switch on the end of the brake master cylinder . make sure there is no corrosion (green) on the contacts on the switch or the connector. if there is clean off with some type of electrical contact cleaner.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Check for the recall by looking for anything(wires) eaten away under where the master brake cylinder is. That's all it is. I'd see if you have output coming down the column and you can either work up to the switch or clock spring or down the line from there

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Recall is a new master cylinder switch and a short harness.

Check the bulb in your 3rd brake light. I also do not think we have a clock spring but rather hace a set of contacts in column for the cruise control switches if I recall right.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Think your right Tom. But I can't say for sure I've wroked on too many different types of trucks to recall!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am taking it tuesday to get the recall done I do brake fluid coming out of the orange grommet on the master cylinder so I assume they will fix that and the switch.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Nice hope They take care of it all for ya

·
Terminator Nation
5,121 Posts
There are slip rings and brushes for contacts for the horn/cruise. The brushes can be worn/cocked out of position. Have to pull steering wheel to check this. Also check the plugs at the bottom of the steering column for tightness. The steering wheel switches have been known to go bad also. Its possible to remove and clean these switches. The dealer sells replacement steering wheel switches for an arm and a leg.

It is also true that the third brake light on the cab has to be working, if it is burned out, the cruise dies since the cruise control senses the third brake light current to shut off the cruise control.

·
Registered
300 Posts
It is also true that the third brake light on the cab has to be working, if it is burned out, the cruise dies since the cruise control senses the third brake light current to shut off the cruise control.
Not completely correct.. The cruise will still work with the 3rd light out....But if you use the turn signals it will click off. It does this because the voltage is wacky when the 3rd light is out and it unlocks the torque converter when you use the turn signal or when you tap the brakes like it's supposed to.... This is why it can also heat up a transmission... Imagine your torque converter constantly locking and unlocking with the turn signal....Obviously this applies to autos only...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just an update went and got the recall done this morning and everything works as new. Thanks for the help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts