Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1996 F350 7.3 Powerstroke, zf5 swap, 160cc injectors, Wicked Wheel, ts6 chip, cold air intake.
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
You should turn the key off when testing resistance, which is probably what the instructions Patrick posted say to do.
Sorry for the long response time. I tested the circuits and it makes no different if the buttons are pressed or not. It says 1.100 that’s it. I tried rotating the wheel and hitting the buttons no difference. Yes the truck is off.

·
Registered
1996 F350 7.3 Powerstroke, zf5 swap, 160cc injectors, Wicked Wheel, ts6 chip, cold air intake.
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If you think it's the buttons, the stuff I posted i the other thread had information on how to test them (and the clockspring). Cheers!
I’m sorry about the confusion on last post. I really appreciate you helping me out here.
thank you.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
No worries! As mentioned you don't need power to test the buttons. Just hold the button and measure the resistance. Cheers!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
No worries! As mentioned you don't need power to test the buttons. Just hold the button and measure the resistance. Cheers!
I did this and it came back at 1.100 and it did not change if I was to press the buttons and turn the wheel and press them no difference. Does this means they are unresponsive?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
or else is there a way for me to jump the switch to see if cruise will kick on?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Make sure your meter is on a resistance scale suitable for the values given. If you're not getting anything like the ranges specified when each button is held down, the buttons could be bad, but with all of them giving the same thing maybe the clockspring is bad? Does the horn work? It has to use the clockspring as well.

I don't think you can jump it. The PCM might be fooled that it is on, but no way to command what to do (set, coast, accel, etc.) Cheers!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Im guessing I measured right there was just no change when I hit the buttons, the horn does still function properly. Is my best bet to remove the steering wheel?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I've never had mine off. You might be able to just take off the horn pad with buttons. Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My steering wheel buttons are finicky. I have to push them several times & or push them down hard to turn on the cruise control. Cruise control works if I'm persistent... Hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe not comparable, but I have an 02, purchased used. CC did not work. The O/D worked with the button on the shift lever. Checked the connection on the end of the brake cylinder and it was disconnected. After I reconnected, my CC worked, but my OD did not?? Pushing the bottom on the shift lever had no effect. I’ve had it to two different Ford Stealers and gotten two different diagnosis. The first one said my Clockspring was bad, no longer available and impossible to find used :-(.. Second one said my PCM was Bad, again no longer available and impossible to find used. I tried one of the outfits that claim the can fix your PCM, they came back with, $100 charge to say PCM checked out fine. NPF. In all my fiddling, I determined that with my brake cylinder switch connected, pressing the brake pedal, turns the O/D, On or Off, so that’s how I roll these days. Kind of a PIA, but you learn to use the brake pedal according. Does your O/D work?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Maybe not comparable, but I have an 02, purchased used. CC did not work. The O/D worked with the button on the shift lever. Checked the connection on the end of the brake cylinder and it was disconnected. After I reconnected, my CC worked, but my OD did not?? Pushing the bottom on the shift lever had no effect. I’ve had it to two different Ford Stealers and gotten two different diagnosis. The first one said my Clockspring was bad, no longer available and impossible to find used :-(.. Second one said my PCM was Bad, again no longer available and impossible to find used. I tried one of the outfits that claim the can fix your PCM, they came back with, $100 charge to say PCM checked out fine. NPF. In all my fiddling, I determined that with my brake cylinder switch connected, pressing the brake pedal, turns the O/D, On or Off, so that’s how I roll these days. Kind of a PIA, but you learn to use the brake pedal according. Does your O/D work?
My truck is a manual zf5 so it’s just a 5 speed

21 - 32 of 32 Posts