Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if any of you MPG guys know which is better to ride on the highway (that has hills) on an auto tranny with a tune?
Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
i get better mpg's without cruise unless i am on flat as a pancake road for more than 5-10 miles at a time...

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only problem I have is the CC can't predict the hills, so it will downshift on a steep hill but keep going down a big one and be 10-12 over before it lets off. I have only hand calculated CC cause a 4 hr drive on the right foot is rough to me.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
i have drove from michigan, to n.dakota, to new york and my truck has never down shifted.. our trucks are actually working harder to maintain a set speed going up and down the hills so if you can let your truck gain a few mph goin down hill and slowly back off the pedal rite befor it wants to downshift goin up hill it will save the fuel..unless its a steep hill. when on cruise control when you go up it probably sarts slowing down way to fast for the truck to compinsate for it then it has to mash it to the floor to catch back up thus using more fuel to get back up to speed... try that ive been doing that since i first started to drive.... you just driveing or you pulling something too? that might change the downshifting on cruise control but do what i said even while hauling and it will make a big diff.

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When pulling something my mpg will be out the window anyways LOL . I'm mostly talking about DD, but I do live in the hill country of Texas so the hills are pretty drastic.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yep, proper driving techniques will beat CC,
however, CC will beat poor driving.
give it a test.

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats what I thought. But I could never get a solid answer. I don't drive like a jack ass, I'm burning liquid gold, and its about the same price as it too at $3 a gallon.

·
Science rulz
1,424 Posts
CC will work good on flat roads, on hilly roads you'd be better off with the right foot. Accelerating on downhills, accelerating slowly before you start on an incline etc etc.

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
Some of the difference may also be in the vehicle.
I had a rental car last weekend for a business trip (nissan sentra), and it wouldn't cruise worth a darn, and didn't have cruise. It seemed like it didn't want to drive the speed I wanted. Even when I was watching the speedo like a hawk, I couldn't maintain any semblence of a steady speed. This was on fairly flat roads where I can keep my truck within 1mph pretty easily.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I never use CC.

To yield the best mileage in a hilly area, use the downhill to pick up speed to help push you up over the next hill. Basically using gravity as opposed to fuel.

CC can't do that.

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Drove about 250 miles yesterday guys and from just an eye judgment of the gauge it seems that my mileage may have improved. Once I empty this tank I will give yall an update of an increase/decrease thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
id be real suprised if you lost any at all it can be a pain it the but at times but it is worth a little bit more to do it that way when fuel prices are above 3 buck a gal.

·
PETE ENGR PSD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
id be real suprised if you lost any at all it can be a pain it the but at times but it is worth a little bit more to do it that way when fuel prices are above 3 buck a gal.
That an my MPG was doing very poorly due a leak where it goes into the head, but I tightened it back up this weekend so its doing better.

As of right now it says 260 miles till empty, and its still over half which pleases me. But the rest of it will be city driving so we will see what happens.

·
DON
147 Posts
i have drove from michigan, to n.dakota, to new york and my truck has never down shifted.. our trucks are actually working harder to maintain a set speed going up and down the hills so if you can let your truck gain a few mph goin down hill and slowly back off the pedal rite befor it wants to downshift goin up hill it will save the fuel..unless its a steep hill. when on cruise control when you go up it probably sarts slowing down way to fast for the truck to compinsate for it then it has to mash it to the floor to catch back up thus using more fuel to get back up to speed... try that ive been doing that since i first started to drive.... you just driveing or you pulling something too? that might change the downshifting on cruise control but do what i said even while hauling and it will make a big diff.
yeah mine dont downshift just turbo gets loud off and on on all hills

1 - 15 of 15 Posts