Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a roof rack off a production vehicle that fits the roof of a crew cab roof? There is a CCSB about an hour away I see about once a year and there is a Guy on here with a red crew cab that have some sort of roof rack. It is not the big aftermarket ones, it is just a OEM looking one that they put on a crew cab. I think it really adds to the look of the truck and hell you can even put stiff up there if you want.

So if anyone knows of one, please post up

·
USASF Retired
305 Posts
:popcorn: I'm interested too .....

·
Registered
270 Posts
There is a company called "yakima" they probly make one that would work. My boss has one on a 97 crew cab f150 and it looks real Sharp.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a company called "yakima" they probly make one that would work. My boss has one on a 97 crew cab f150 and it looks real Sharp.
They dont have anything

·
Registered
270 Posts
How about getting one off a Ford explorer and modifying it to fit got needs. That or a jeep Cherokee.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is why I asked if anyone knew of a production rack that fits. I sure as hell Am not buying a rack from the junk yard to only find out it does NOT fit

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Like so...?? ORU Defender Rack courtesy of PLATO-F350

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Those come with the defender rack....

·
DIESELdog...
393 Posts

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nope. Not what I am looking for. I want a OE or OEM roof rack. Not a huge aftermarket one, like the defender

·
DIESELdog...
393 Posts

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is why in my original post i asked about a roof rack off a production vehicle that would fit my crewcab

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
I read it wrong I thought it said a production rack not a production vehicle...

·
DIESELdog...
393 Posts
Damn near every OEM "rack" on a production vehicle is just a set of rails with weak bars that will not support anything. Any production vehicle with an OEM rack capable of holding and supporting a tire would be off a pretty serious rig, and would likely look awesome, similar to the racks we already shared links to. Looks like you may have to build one that suits you perfectly. Usually custom built things are easier and better than retrofitting expensive OEM flimsy parts.

Also I just thought of the roof itself. Most OEM rack rails sit in a reinforced channel in the roof. Our roofs have no support and are really flimsy. The only support is in the gutters, which again, leads you more into the heavier aftermarket baskets or Yakima, Thule style racks.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine will be more for ascetics

·
97 250 7.3 PowerStroke
165 Posts
BigStoker, where did those clamps come from. Those aren't sold with the Rake.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have racks from a 95 Grand Cherokee on my topper. What I had to do is Buy two sets and cut them down about 2ft on each rail and put the cut sections together for my 8 ft topper. I also got 2 extra bows 6 total. The mounting rails have a bow in them that was kind of stiff my wife had to sit on the rails to force them down to mount the hold down bolts in the middle. I also used fender washers on the underside to make the mount stronger plus cock to fill the holes so it will not leak. The 2 racks and all 6 bows cost me $35.00 not counting the SS bolts. Now I am going to do the cab with another set with 4 bows to finish it off. I have not had time to drop the head liner as of yet but soon.

Fyi 95ish Grand C have 2 sets of bows one mount looks like a small upper case H (old style) and another with a way larger lower case h (new style). I went with the way larger lower case h (newer style).

Fyi The regular Cherokees XJ's have both types of bows but they are a couple of inches wider. If I was to do it all over again I would have used the XJ's Bows so the rack would be a little wider.

The stock length should fit just fine on a CC but if you had to cut them down maybe only an inch or so it would be up to you how close you want the end caps to the front and back. But the end caps would cover up your cuts.

Hope this helps and I will get pic's up soon.

·
Registered
44 Posts
diesel brad, I guess the answer curently is NO. It seems no one has put an OEM type roof rack from a "different production vehicle" onto the roof of a crewcab OBS truck. If there is a u-pick-it yard near you then maybe you should make some measurements of your roof and go see what you can find that closely matches what you want. If the yard allows, you may be able to remove the rack to trial fit it in the parking lot to see if it fits. Most vehicles that have roof racks have a structure in the roof to support it, aparently the OBS roofs do not (even though you just want the "look") so be careful mounting it as the unsupported areas of the roof COULD deform while mounting the rack even w/o any weight or pressure on it. The local auto body supply store may have some of the old style body side mouldings which tape & rivit to the body w/ tapered ends & colored inserts that you could put on the raised roof ridges, then you'll just need to find the sides your looking for. Look @ station wagons & SUVs like Crown Vics & Explorers & Epeditions. Oh, Excursions???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts