Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Underfunded
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont really have the ability to lift the engine up, so was wondering how folks have managed to mess with the oil pan while leaving the engine bolted down?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
can you drop the front axle?

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
I have heard of cutting out and rewelding in the cross member. I have done the oil pan on cars where there was no gasket and just RTV successfully with the motor installed. No way would I cut the cross member out on my truck to experiment.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I have heard of cutting out and rewelding in the cross member. I have done the oil pan on cars where there was no gasket and just RTV successfully with the motor installed. No way would I cut the cross member out on my truck to experiment.
A diesel shop local to me does this and has had great luck with it. I think they use some kind of frame jig to keep the frame rails 100% in the same spot, but I'm not sure. My buddy actually had this shop replace his rotted oil pan this way, seemed to work great.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Why would you even mess around doing this?

You can pick the engine in about an hour.
Well if I had to guess, a shop can replace a rotted pan a lot faster by getting out a sawzall, cutting the x-member, bolting in a new pan, and welding it back together. If you have a welder that is good at what he does, I think the whole job is far less labor intensive than pulling the engine.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Better be good welder to get that cross member welded up out of position under a vehicle. To the OP what is going on that you need to pull the pan.

Tom

·
Underfunded
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Long story short I am trying to recover a piece of metal that fell in the pan... and have yet to have any success with my magnets, so I will get more magnets an attempt tomorrow.
Im not sure this will work however.
my truck is dead in the water so taking it to a welder is a no go.
How hard is it to pull the engine and other than an engine jack what might I need?
Does that cross-member bolt to anything?

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
How big is the piece of metal?

If it has any mass to it I would just leave it...........it wont get past the pick-up screen anyways.

Or do you need it back?LOL

·
Underfunded
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its the dipstick assembly.... :mad:

·
PSN Pretender
1,926 Posts
Nahh........the oil pickup tube wont let you slide the pan out. You have to drop the pan strait down to get it out.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
I think it is non magnetic so that will not likely work. Some have fished it out successfully in the past.

Tom

·
Recruit #211
113 Posts
I've never heard of anyone being successful at gettin pan off without pulling the motor completely out and if you do decide tp pull it i would suggest dropping the trans first cause you will have to drop it to put the engine back in and also if you have access to a tractor with a front end loader or a fork lift it sure makes pulling it much easier

·
Underfunded
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well i was removing the nut so I could use it as a reference when I made a outside gasket to keep that pan from leaking, since the original o-ring killed itself and the pan leaks.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts