Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
IDI for life
338 Posts
TBH, couldnt tell what the difference is between a 9 and 10. We have a 85 GMC brigadier with a Detroit 2stroke, and i believe a 9 speed, shifts beautiful. Also a 93 F-800 with the 505CID Chummins. Eaton tranny, all i can remember same shift pattern, a little tight, but only has 26k miles on it. Wouldnt mind either one in my pickup. Probably lean towards the 93 as it has a shorter throws.

·
Premium Member
9,187 Posts
.:doh:. a 9 speed has 9 forward gears, a 10 speed has 10 forward gears. :poke:

the difference is that with a 9 speed you shift 5 in low range, flip the splitter to direct and start again in second gear position for 6th.
on a 10 speed you shift 5 in low range and 5 in direct.

·
IDI for life
338 Posts
.:doh:. a 9 speed has 9 forward gears, a 10 speed has 10 forward gears. :poke:

the difference is that with a 9 speed you shift 5 in low range, flip the splitter to direct and start again in second gear position for 6th.
on a 10 speed you shift 5 in low range and 5 in direct.
Ok, apparently ive never driven a 10 spd that i know of then, never used 1st (low) in high range, i assume thats what your meaning was the only difference, you flip into high range and go back into low on a 10 spd? Havent driven a truck since i was 18.

·
IDI for life
338 Posts
anything that is i believe SAE#2 will bolt on.
So now the question is, where do i find a 9 spd with a SAE 2 bell? If anyone has any ideas lemme know. Going to head down to the big truck yard next week and poke around. Wonder how fun the clutch will be if i do get into this.

·
IDI for life
338 Posts
Hmm... just found a site that said the Eaton 9spd isnt suitable for over 2400 rpms... interesting.

·
IDI for life
338 Posts
Well, if i were going to go as far to put a 9 spd in there, the engine would at the least see 4k, if not 4500. Getting close to twice the rpms the trans was build to handle. Im sure there are other options. Finding out what limits the tranny to such low rpms would be the start of finding out how to make it spin faster and not become and IED.

·
Premium Member
9,187 Posts
the trans is only rated for 2400 rpm, because the engines they bolt to only run max 2100 rpm.
if you really want gears and stump pulling power, why not put a 18 speed in it??

·
IDI for life
338 Posts
I dont want to be shifting every 3 seconds, and talk about overkill... in overkill zone as it is talking about a 9. We have 2 15s sitting on our floor i could have if i wanted em. We have a 93 F-800 flatbed with 505 chummins, it governs at 2400, it has an eaton 9 spd. I wouldnt mind this tranny in my pickup because it just... well the truck drives like a pickup to begin with. tranny shifts really light, short throws and youre not shifting ALL the time. I would compare it to a 6spd in a new cummins pickup.

My whole idea behind this is the ZF isnt rated to handle the amount of power i will put throwing at it, theyre known for the cases stretching with stock engines in extreme cases. A 9 spd would fix that no doubt, and i would still have a manual, and even better, its a non syncro'd trans. Which as im sure most of you know means no clutching.

So.. theoretically speaking, what happens to a 9 spd when wound to 4k? The guy im going to be doing corn with has the JY id be getting the trans from ill pick his brain some and see what he has to say about it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have a full manual school bus t444e in my garage along with the spicer transmission attached to it. The spicer transmission probably weighs 400-500 lbs...its a beast.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts