Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a low mileage 2000 long block that I will move all my upgrades to in order to have forged metal rods. I need some advice on how to prep the engine for storage and crating. It will be Spring before I can get this into the truck and I do not want to have it deteriorate while sitting in my garage. Fluids have been drained prior to extraction. Any other suggestions are welcome!

·
Banned
1,822 Posts
i think youll be allright with all the fluids removed you may want to take the injectors out and spray a bit of wd -40 in the bores to coat the cylinders with a light oil so they dont rust and as well as to coat the valves for rust.

·
Going Crazy
1,533 Posts
yea lots of WD40 in the cylinders

·
Oooo, White Lightning !
2,921 Posts
I have a bare block in my garage and my dad sprays it with wd-40 then covers it with a garbage bag.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
I'd spray the whole thing..cept anything rubber.
trash bags can be good and bad, they trap moisture .
hence the spray whole thing idea.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Long term. Completely fill the block with oil and cover all holes to keep the mud dobbers out.

·
<==Drivin My Boat
528 Posts
we use fogging oil to coat outboard for winter storage. It leaves a nice coat of oil over everything and foams so it gets into all the little nooks and crannies. It does a great job of preventing rust but will come right off with a light soak of engine block cleaner and a hose.

stuff also works great for sticky hood latches. mines gets a bath of it about every 6 months when it starts to stick and the stuff frees it right up

·
Going Crazy
1,533 Posts
we use fogging oil to coat outboard for winter storage. It leaves a nice coat of oil over everything and foams so it gets into all the little nooks and crannies. It does a great job of preventing rust but will come right off with a light soak of engine block cleaner and a hose.

stuff also works great for sticky hood latches. mines gets a bath of it about every 6 months when it starts to stick and the stuff frees it right up

This may be a dumb question but what's fogging oil?

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Fill it up with ATF all the way to the top for long term storage. For the winter I'd just pull the GP or injectors and fill the cylinder with ATF. Fog the outside and loosly cover the engine. I've got a dozen or so engines stored this way.

Had a BCIII on the self for 3 years, pulled it out, washed it off, bared it over, primed it and fired it. Went in the truck an hour later and on the road the next day.

·
<==Drivin My Boat
528 Posts
Its an oil for storing an outboard motor for the winter. You spray it into the carb with the engine running and it will coat all the internal parts. Its a great rust preventer and a good light lubricant for stuff like hinges. Look here for an example. I normally have a can of OMC brand kicking around, the stuff's great.

·
MAXIMUS OVERDRIVE
261 Posts
This may be a dumb question but what's fogging oil?
Fogging oil is a heavy oil that is sprayed into the carbs of marine motors for winter storage. with the outboard running you spray into the carbs(or TBs of the EFI motors) to the point that the oil is more than the fuel and the engine chokes out, this leaves a light coating of oil on all the cylinders, pistons, carbs/TBs, valves,exhaust ports, etc.... so moisture dooesn't get in there and cause rust. It is also a great surface coating like EMD said.

Well, crap, EMD types faster than me.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
What about leaving the motor sitting on the pan?My FIL says you have to block it up dampner to fly wheel with blocks.The weight will crush the pickup tube and pan.

Me personally i say BS but he is my FIL.
You'll probably want to block the damper so the engine sits level. I also use a little car tire under the sump to kind of stabilize the engine unless it's real long term and then I just build a pallet.

So long as you set the engine down GENTLY you won't hurt the pan.

·
Subject Matter Expert
4,458 Posts
I use three jackstands, can be light duty, one on the damper, one on each side of the block by the transmission mount plate, there is a nice ledge there.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Chunks of 4X4's here, but same principle as the jackstands.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
is the fogging oil the marvel mystry stuff in a red spray bottle like 409?

·
MAXIMUS OVERDRIVE
261 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts