Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck's a 97, bone stock sans exhaust. I started it a week ago when it was about -5 one morning. Fired right up after being plugged in. I walked back inside to let it warm up and 5 minutes later it started chugging and died. Would barely fire back up after cranking and holding the pedal all the way down, when it fired it wouldn't run right, almost like I had a couple bad injectors. I figured whatever I'll let it sit and drive my gasser and maybe when it warms up it will be fine.

So the other day it was about 40, went out there, cycled the plugs, wts light and gpr worked fine. Fuse 22 and bowl heater fine. Truck cranked nice and strong with no smoke and no start. No movement of the tach, okay bad cps. Took the cps out of my running 01 and still no start and no tach movement. Okay so mayyybee that one went bad too, took the cps out of my 97 f superduty. Same results. So now what? I thought the only thing that could cause no tach movement while cranking was a faulty cps or pcm?

I checked the hpop reservoir, a little low, but not alarming, topped it off, no start. Unplugged the icp sensor, no start. I haven't dicked with the IPR yet, maybe that could be it? Doesn't make sense with no tach though. Who's got any ideas, I need this truck back on the road :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check wiring between CPS and PCM. Confirm that CPS is from Ford or International.
Thanks,I'll check the wiring tomorrow, I tried both grey and black Ford cps's. I went to International today to pick up a dark blue ICH1876736C91 but none in stock.

What pin(s) on the pcm correspond to the CPS signal? What kind of voltage should what wire be getting at the CPS, and what should it be sending out?

Am I correct though that if there's absolutely zero tach movement it either has to be CPS, PCM, or wiring between them?

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
You would save a lot of time, money and effort by getting a good scanner on the truck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You would save a lot of time, money and effort by getting a good scanner on the truck.
I know I know, don't have one though. Like I said though, no tach has to mean CPS, CPS wiring, or PCM right? So if I can check the continuity, resistance, and signal voltage of those 3 things, I can pretty much nail it on the head...I think.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Do your batteries have a good charge on them? And im sure someone near you has a scanner

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, today I got it in the shop, went over everything again and found zero issues as to why it wouldn't start or get the tach to register. Fuel and oil pressure all checked out good. So I disconnected the glow plugs, shot a little ether in her, and it fired right up, warmed up, shut it off, fired up perfect again. I've been driving it all day and it's been fine. Not really sure what happened. Batteries had a good charge, and oil and fuel filter were both fresh.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As soon as I find someone with a good scanner, I still want to get it plugged in and check everything out during a drive cycle. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well after a couple weeks of running great, it's at it again. Went to start this morning at about -2F outside. Cycled the plugs once and it started right up without being plugged in. Ran like ass for a 30 seconds and started to clear up then it died. Started right up again, almost had a slight knock/miss like a bad injector on the passenger side. Then it died and now won't restart again. It will crank all day and sorta pop like it wants to fire but just not enough. I disconnected the glow plugs and shot a little ether down its throat(I know don't yell at me) and it fires right up but won't stay running like it would before...maybe because its -2F..

I've gone over the same things as before. hpop is full with good pressure while cranking. CPS is new,tested and good. Fresh oil. Fresh fuel and filter, good pressure while cranking. GPR and plugs are tested and good. ICP is good.

I'm now thinking maybe IPR or injector o rings, possibly a injector starting to fail. Thoughts? It only does this when it's really really cold, like below 0. Any other time it runs great.

·
oilfield trucker
849 Posts
Have you messed with the fuel filter at all? It's sounds like it may be gelling up.

·
Registered
130 Posts
For an injector o-ring, check the fuel filter for signs of oil. Kind of sounds like your IPR might be sticking. Do you add anything to your fuel to keep from gelling?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts