Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use some education about the Crank Case Vent Kit.
I've been advised this is something I should do (by a sales person of course). How does it work, what’s the reason to do it, do I need this. Any input, Help?:confused:

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
it vents the crank case to the atmosphere instead of back into the intake, keeps all the oil out of the intake and intercooler. i actually spent about $7 and did it myself.
you need:
4" exhaust pipe (4-5" in length)
1- 90* heater hose elbow - i think it's 5/8"
1- straight 5/8" hose union
a few feet (4-6') of heater hose
3 hose clamps
All you do is flip the crank case vent on the engine around. Clamp the elbow to the CCV, clamp the union into the other end of the elbow, then clamp the hose on the elbow and route it straight down under the truck. A lot of people use catch cans and such, but mine dumps straight under the truck like on the t444e.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
You simply replace the Black plastic piece that is in the intake tract with a piece of 4" exhaust tube about 4" long (SS if you want but even PVC will work) Then on the drivers side valve cover, remove the "dog house" and flip it around. This makes the outlet on the back of the motor. Run 3/4 hose from there over the brake booster, down the frame to where ever you want it to vent too. It will puff out a bit of vapors and on some trucks a little oil.

Some build a catch can of some kind, but I get about one drip overnight out of mine... Nothing to worry about. IMHO...

The CCV mod will keep oil vapors from soaking your IC boots, making them blow off, keeps oil vapors from building up in your IC which reduces its efficiency, and just keeps the motor looking cleaner.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
LOL typing at the same time, same response...:D

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks All, If I want to DIY this myself and I want to make some sort of catch can, do you have any ideas for a catch can ?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Or am I just looking for trouble doing the catch can, increase crankcase pressure leading to oil leaks from seals? Is that why alot of guy's just run an open line?

·
Laces Out
12,314 Posts
either way you'll be fine. catch cans are for those who care about the environment.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
you can pretty much anything - water bottle, coke can etc. but i tried to keep it as close to INTL's specs as possible, so i just dropped it out right under.

·
Corona Killa
1,727 Posts
This reminded me that I need to do this mod I hate having to clean all the oil and dirt that collects on the IC pipes.

·
Banned
7,764 Posts
Do a catch can that has two ports on the top. One with a pickup tube to near the bottom and one right off the top. Pump the crank case gas into the one with the tube and have the one at the top re-connected to your intake system somewhere pre turbo.

The can will catch all the oil, but you'll still have positive crank-case pressure.

(Since having to take my crank-case hose out of the intake track for now I have started puking oil from many places that have never leaked before)

I ran a -10 straight down the driver's side valvecover, over the fram and stopped about 10 inches from the top of the leafspring. It is obviously building pressure as the leaking is strong. Like, tiny oil specs on the tailgate kinda strong. And it's not from what's coming out of the vent tube.

I plan to run it back into the intake system after a catch can grabs the oil vapor.

Not to mention that it smells like sh#t, and that fog surrounding the front left fender at stoplights gets some strange, "You might want to park that thing before it leaves you walking" kinda looks.

·
Corona Killa
1,727 Posts
Yeah I know about that fog I drove tractor into the shop the othe day and it looked like someone had hooked the exhaust into the CCV I could hardly drive it due to so much vapor coming out of it Oh and that engine got dusted.

·
<- Sums it up
1,739 Posts
I used two catch cans in series as one was still letting a little oil through and soaking the boots causing the boost to pop off under high boost, over 35psi.

I wanted to make sure that when the '08 emission testing starts I can pass without issue. Modifying the CCV is considered an emission modification. I am not a tree hugger, just one that hates emission troubles.

You can click on "my truck" to see my setup.

·
Corona Killa
1,727 Posts
In 08 we are going to have to do emission testing on our diesels in CA if that is true that sucks.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
In 08 we are going to have to do emission testing on our diesels in CA if that is true that sucks.
I read recently that CARB was voting to make mandatory retrofitting trucks to meet emissions requirements! Vote with your feet.

·
Corona Killa
1,727 Posts
What do you mean by retrofitting trucks like older trucks having to buy stuff to make them run cleaner if so I don't know what I will do because I won't do any of that to my truck ever.

·
<- Sums it up
1,739 Posts
Today I stopped at a truck shop to get a piece of 4" flex for my exhaust system. There was a CARB notice on the information wall at the shop. It stated that all diesels, including light duty pickups with diesel engines, will be required to have all emission devices on the vehicle as provided from the manufacturer and will have to pass a snap-idle test with 40% opacity
for 1991 and newer engines.

I am doing research on this as we speak. I will post what I find.

·
Sponsor
1,583 Posts

·
Corona Killa
1,727 Posts
Well does light duty trucks include us or is it just like the 650 and stuff like that.

·
Third Member
221 Posts
What about running the CCV into the exhaust (downpipe)? If you buy a kit from Jegs

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_745564_-1_10449

Then take the rubber gromets, install them into the DR Side VC. Install the breathers into that, and weld the fittings into the DP, then it would work the same, Right??? It seems to work well for us.:D
I've read about people ruuning the ccv into the exhaust before. But the way I understood it was they welded a fitting into the exhaust and ran a hose from the ccv to the fitting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts