Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What causes these 6.0 heads to crack ?

Mine are toast after 190K..... both heads have cracks at EVERY ONE of my exhaust valves :confused:

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
1,207 Posts
It had to get pretty damm Hot to crack every cylinder. wow

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This truck ain't never been tuned, been well taken care of, and has towed moderate, and some heavy, majority of it's life. I gotta tell ya..... If this is the outcome to using a 6.0..... I'm not impressed ! And I've been a Ford guy forever. Would I be safe in assuming then that anyone who uses their truck probably has cracked heads ?!

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
1,207 Posts
No that is not common, the early 6.0 did have some problems, the waterpumps were upgraded to a larger one in early 05 if I remember right. There were growing pains with the early engines.
The 6.0 was a entirely new design and with that some problems always arise.

The guages Ford has in the dash are a huge dissapointment, my guess is the truck got HOT at one point and it only takes once if high enuf.

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,225 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You don't think your cracked injector tip could have caused some of the head issues ?? .....

Injector replacement question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Seems like it got fairly hot also:

Fan Clutch - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Did you buy it used?
I do believe that my #5 cracked injector tip had EVERYTHING to do with it..... on one head anyhow, #5 & #7 for sure as the manifold and head shows signs of some serious heat there. But the other head ?!

Yes I did buy the truck used, and service records show a water pump at one time years ago.... there could have been some overheating issues, previous owner says it wasn't serious though...... :shrug: And I never overheated the truck. Fan clutch you point to was just froze up is all. No overheating there.

If serious overheating is the main cause, then what kind of serious overheating temps are we talking about here ????

Because if you consider a 225 sustained coolant temp during heavy towing in 90 degree weather overheating, that brings me back full circle to post #4 ! I'm pretty sure these trucks are built for that. Oil temps on the other hand..... another story/thread altogether ! Maybe it has something to do with it, maybe not. I'll side with not cuz if it did.... everyone's heads would be smoked ! There's certainly no shortage of excessive oil temp issues around here or with the 6.0 that's for sure.

At the same time, I am beginning to put some things together..... I do believe the machine shop I took the heads to for decking last year, when I did studs, either lied to me or were simply incompetent ! I believe they were already shot and the idiot that did the magnafluxing didn't know what he was doing. There's no way both heads went to total sh!t from a clean bill of health in ~5k miles. Aside from the injector tip doing in the one.

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
1,207 Posts
Just had my heads magnafluxed with 100k miles on them, and every single mile I was running a SCT. No cracks. Not one.
Yea, that engine got HOT. Been 26 years now but I worked in a machine shop for 7 years and mainly did cylinder head work, the exhaust seats are the hottest part of the engine next to the exhaust valve itself.If one bank was making big heat it will heat up the entire engine just like a wood stove, the cooling systems have their limitations.

I have seen engines that got so hot the electrical wiring harness melted so yea it happens.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Help me dig a little deeper here guys...... With blown head gaskets many experience mysterious coolant loss, especially under load when the most heat is generated. With that in mind..... exactly how much coolant must be lost before air pockets develop and an improper/no flow situation is created in the heads ? And how much coolant must be lost before the heads have virtually no coolant in them at all ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts