Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped at the Ford Dealership the other day because I heard a 6.7 was being torn down and of course I was curious as to why. Turns out the owner was up on vacation from GA and heard what sounded like a miss with his truck, brought it in and it has one visibly cracked EX valve (like a 2mm gap) and 2 more on the pass head that are cracked slightly. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of this? Im hoping its just one of those few trucks that happens to break down and it does not become a trend with others. I think it had like 20k on it or something close to that.

·
CEO & PRESIDENT, RHTFC
68 Posts
Never heard of that problem but is good to know to keep the eyes open. Only the time will tell the reliability of these engines. I saw another 6.7L with cab pulled off in the dealership the other day but unfortunately I was unable to speak with the technician so I don't know the cause for repairs. If I know something about it I'll let you know. Best regards...

Nelson Ruiz

·
Registered
342 Posts
Im up to 65 right now with no problems thankfully :D

Side note I drive mine like I stole it and tow every day, but I take pretty good care for oil changes

I'm excited to see how it keeps going.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
First post is the quote below,,, I wouldn't consider that motor a good example of durability,, sorry! We all know,, "When you play, you pay" If they honor his warranty, so be it,, but if they don't he shouldn't be upset. Also,, where in the hell is your photo hosting site at? RUSSIA? LOL (If you look at the pictures posted of the cracked valves in other post)

Hello, my friend have an f250 2011 with 20kmiles. EGR , cooler, dpf, urea delete.
How he have P0263 and P02CD errors . Does it mean that he must change the injector ? Injector the same as on 6.4 or different # ??
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That #6 valve or whichever it was that was really bad is exactly what on of this trucks valves looked like, not sure what cyl it was on though. Cab was being pulled and both sides checked/repaired now.

·
Registered
284 Posts
yes... cracked exhaust vavles on the new 6.7L is a very well known problem... most of them have been on the 300 hp. C&C engines though. Is this a C&C truck or pickup?

·
Registered
91 Posts
yes... cracked exhaust vavles on the new 6.7L is a very well known problem... most of them have been on the 300 hp. C&C engines though. Is this a C&C truck or pickup?
My fiend have a F250 long bad.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Same here, just a 250 pickup. Wow, I did not realize it was such a common problem. HAs the actual cause been determined yet from the trucks your talking about?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Yes, this hell named Russia :evil:doh:
Wow,, our Church back in St. Louis sponsored a Church being built in Gus Hrustalniy. Sasha came over to the US went to Bible School for our Church and then interned for a couple years here. Went back to Russia and started a Church there. Doing very well too!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Same here, just a 250 pickup. Wow, I did not realize it was such a common problem. HAs the actual cause been determined yet from the trucks your talking about?
The problem has been found and addressed. It's going to be interesting to see what Ford does though with the trucks out on the road that may have the bad valves.

·
Registered
520 Posts
From what I have gathered a step was skipped in the curing process when the valves were made.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think... EGR decrease temp of fuel burning in cyl. If tune file work incorrect with EGR delete, may be this increase fuel burning temp ? and valves cracked... is it possible ?

·
Registered
444 Posts
From what I have gathered a step was skipped in the curing process when the valves were made.
is there a way of finding out who has the bad valves? before they break.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The problem has been found and addressed. It's going to be interesting to see what Ford does though with the trucks out on the road that may have the bad valves.
I was just wondering how they addressed the problem? Did they add the theorized "skipped step" back to the treatment process? I have wondered if the excess heat from regenerations is in part causing the valves to fail. There seems to be a fair number of C&C trucks that have had this problem, but very little consensus regarding what's causing it and how they're going to fix it.

·
My other twin turbo...
1,066 Posts
Maybe failed to make it to the temper furnace after hardening? That would leave the material at its maximum hardness with lots of residual stress.

·
Registered
284 Posts
On the C&C trucks, it appears to be a combination of things...( this is just me thinking) One is there seems to be an airflow imbalance in the manifold, it appears to get worse on the 300 hp. engine with the less efficient turbo. I say this because there are 3 cylinders that ALWAYS seem to be the initial failure points. Theres no way all the "bad valves" ended up in the exact same locations on every cylinder head.
At one time, it was thought to have something to do with fuel dosing during the regen cycle, not sure if thats the case since we've been thru numerous software changes and yet the issue continues.. I think if it were simply a software issue, it would have been found and fixed a long time back.
Other than replacing parts/engines after failure, we have not heard of any preventative steps Ford is currently taking to address this issue. At one time, we heard they were to replace the cylinder heads on all of our trucks, but thats been awhile back and none of them have been replaced.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts