Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
jrf350
34 Posts
my truck has 197634 miles on it its six speed and has been an awsome truck i pull a d3 cat dozer and lots of other heavy stuff with it one of the freeze out plugs on the back of the block started leaking so i replaced it and the transmission and clutch as it was all original and 500 miles later my block cracked behind the starter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello guys

I had this truck for 5 years and never had no idea it was not a OBS engine till awhile back when I got curious and wanted to know the set. I thought it was kind of funny having that high a number in a 97. That's why I am trying to get some feedback on what year it might have come out of. No way in the world to know if it was a remain or not. Gonna call Ford today and see if they can tell me anything please.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello guys

I had this truck for 5 years and never had no idea it was not a obs engine till awhile back when I got curious and wanted to know the set. I thought it was kind of funny having that high a number in a 97. That's why I am trying to get some feedback on what year it might have come out of. No way in the world to know if it was a remain or not. Gonna call Ford today and see if they can tell me anything please.

·
That go to guy
83 Posts
plz no one bit my head off for asking this first would a 02 with water in oil have anything to do with a cracked block i havent looked into it to c if it is cracked or anything yet just a possible question

·
Just A Squirrel
644 Posts
plz no one bit my head off for asking this first would a 02 with water in oil have anything to do with a cracked block i havent looked into it to c if it is cracked or anything yet just a possible question
maybe a head gasket?

·
That go to guy
83 Posts
o ok thanks bud

·
Rookie Stroker
325 Posts
I'm new here so don't be too hard on my dumb ar$e for askin the question but what is the purpose of this thread? I just purchased a 1997 F250 7.3L and I sure see '97 showin up a lot in this thread???

Rob

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
The point of the thread is to see if they can pinpoint the cause of engine failures. Was it a poor casting in block material or improper aftermarket higher than stock horsepower tuning. Improper fuel timing in tuning, owner operator abuse, aftermarket power modifications, stressed out remanned engine blocks have all been a factor to block failures. Proper tuning has an important role in engine longevity.

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
Just pulled the plug on my 02' which has a build date of 8/01 and the motor has a sticker of 3/01 on the valve cover. I was very excited to see that it had a stud with a nut on it. Forged rods are in my truck after all. Now I have a home for some performance parts that I have had sitting around for the last several months. Guess it did pay to check. Would have felt pretty dumb if I would have pulled it and it had forged rods in it..:pointlaugh:
guess i should check mine... engine build date was 02 or 03 of 01, dont know the truck build date.

for the OP, is there any way to tell where the blocks were cast, or engines assembled?

·
Registered
51 Posts
did any of the 2003 7.3 end up with cracked blocks,just wondering because thats what i have.

·
Your Daddy
198 Posts
Any new info on this?

My original block died from cavitation by water contaminated Evans coolant. Ended up with a nice little hole in #8 cylinder wall.

What worries me is the guy that did the tuning on my chip(OP in this thread) is asking about cracked blocks.......

Any news David?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey guys, does there seem to be a trend going with cracked blocks? Certain years or s/n ranges?

·
Registered
2 Posts
1360660 Cracked passenger side from freeze plug to freeze plug and a 12" crack below it right above the oil pan. No contamination. I have Forged rods so I am going to try to fix it with locknstitch. JB Weld did not hold.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Cracked mine about three weeks ago. Cracked from the #4 main bearing cap bolt hole down a casting seam all the way to the cam bearing. Engine build date is 12/24/97. Original engine with 94,000 miles on it! Never should have happened.

·
Whites Diesel Performance
388 Posts
Looks to me between 12/97 and 01 if im not right correct me. 12/96 and 11/97 both are fine and 97 has 308K

Gotta love the 90's lmao

·
Registered
93 Posts
sorry guys, what's an OBS and can someone inform me about the cracking blocks? Is it prevelant in certain years? does it occurr on bone stock engines? Thanks much

·
Joined cracked block club
289 Posts
Just found my block cracked. Pulled the oil pan to fix an oil leak. #2 cam bearing was laying in the oil pan. Cracked from cam bore all the way down through webbing to pan rail. The motor still ran like a raped ape w/ 262,6xx miles on it. Good oil pressure, no overheating, no noises, HPOP would hit 2600 on the scan tool. Only problems are / were oil leak by oil filter ( resealed the cooler last weekend, didn't stop the leak ) & diesel in coolant ( did left 4 injector cups last weekend, was going to do the others this weekend). I guess it's time to find a new engine / truck. Depends on what I deciede there may be some stock e99 parts showing up in the classifieds.

Build date on valve cover 8-14-98
Serial number 809943

·
Joined cracked block club
289 Posts
Upon further inspection the #3 cam bore has the same cracks as #2 just not quite as noticeable. I wonder how many miles I would have gotten out of it before it self-destructed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
im at work and cant check soooo build date is 4/01 :/ good or bad

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
This tread is a year old lol I used to do that when I first got on here. Check the date the last posts was made before ya post as alot of these old posts (over 3 months) no one really posts on anymore.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts