Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
917 Posts
Re: Cracked block serial #

Cracked at # 2 main from the outer 2 main bolt holes and down toward the cam bearing. 2001 @ 88K miles

·
993 Posts

Cracked at # 2 main from the outer 2 main bolt holes and down toward the cam bearing. 88K miles
What year truck was that?
What I want to know is why in the sam hail do I have a 6284541 in my 97!!! I'm gonna go balistic and keil someone!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

What year truck was that?
What I want to know is why in the sam hail do I have a 6284541 in my 97!!! I'm gonna go balistic and keil someone!
Good lord man. Someone put a reman in it... Figured that would be obvious.

·
993 Posts

What the sam hail would be obvious about it unless i get under the truck and read the friggin number!!!

·
DI POWER
1,278 Posts

Cracked at # 2 main from the outer 2 main bolt holes and down toward the cam bearing. 2001 @ 88K miles
Thats my motor he's talken about:(

·
Keyboard Thug
2,855 Posts

Good lord man. Someone put a reman in it... Figured that would be obvious.
What part of the number denotes it as a reman? I bought a block direct from IH for my 96, need to get the #'s. Somewhere in a notebook I have the #'s from the old block since IH needed them to source the correct block. Of course it didn't crack, it just broke the skirts off all the pistons and cracked both heads.:D Interesting thread nonetheless.

·
993 Posts

I had this truck for three years and never had no idea it was not a OBS engine till awhile back when I got curious and wanted to know the ser#.
I thought it was kind of funny having that high a number in a 97. That's why I am trying to get some feedback on what year it might have come out of. No way in the world to know if it was a reman or not. Gonna call Ford today and see if they can tell me anything.

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts

It was a 2001 forged
Something doesn't see right with those numbers. The last forged rod motor is supposed to be 1498318. My 2000 engine number is 1240???.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

I had this truck for three years and never had no idea it was not a OBS engine till awhile back when I got curious and wanted to know the ser#.
I thought it was kind of funny having that high a number in a 97. That's why I am trying to get some feedback on what year it might have come out of. No way in the world to know if it was a reman or not. Gonna call Ford today and see if they can tell me anything.
I guess the way I look at it is you either have an engine out of a newer truck or a reman/new engine was installed at some point. Doesn't really matter what exact year it came out of as long as it has forged rods. Externally the only differences are bolt ons. Pull the plug and look at the rods if that's what you are all worked up about.

·
DI POWER
1,278 Posts

Something doesn't see right with those numbers. The last forged rod motor is supposed to be 1498318. My 2000 engine number is 1240???.
Engine date was Jan 12,01. Must of been when they went to pmr then back to forged(mine) and then back to pmr. This is a very late date for forged. Truck was made July 01.

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts

Engine date was Jan 12,01. Must of been when they went to pmr then back to forged(mine) and then back to pmr. This is a very late date for forged. Truck was made July 01.
To go from 1 million to 5 million in a year seems like a lot to me . I didn't know they could build 70,000 engines a week.

·
Keyboard Thug
2,855 Posts

I'm just starting to wonder if the block I got from IH was PMR or forged. Seems like I investigated this before and came up with forged, and IH did want the block serial # to source the part, so I'm assuming it was replaced with a forged rod block. Will the serial # give that info?

·
DI POWER
1,278 Posts

To go from 1 million to 5 million in a year seems like a lot to me . I didn't know they could build 70,000 engines a week.
What ever it is it is, Those are the dates on the valve cover and door of the truck. I bought it new Sept 01. Truck was made in Mexico, maybe they stockpiled forged engines there.:D

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts

Manufacturers frequently jump serial number ranges. Especially at model years or other significant breaks.
Usually production has an estimate of the number of units they'll build, so they allot a range of numbers for that build. The range will usually have a large increment. Say, allot s/n 1,500,001-1,700,000 for model yearl 2020, then 2,000,001-2,500,000 for model year 2021. In this case every model year jumps by one million, but that doesn't mean that one million were made.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts