Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok fellas, I know this has been brought up time and time again, and everyone says its not worth the money, well I believe I have got it figured out for the most part and I'm just waiting on funds, but I do have a few points that I think that should be brought up.

First off you can use 6.4 parts,
A HPFP from Industrial Injection runs 1650.00
A set of 20% injectors from them are 430.00 a piece
A set of fuel rails are 99.99 each from RCD
High pressure fuel lines (from the pump to the rail) Bullet proof diesel has them for (Driver Side) 25.00 and (Passenger Side) 35.00
And from the rail to the injector i'm not entirely sure, but it couldn't be a whole lot more.
then there's the cost of the sensors, return lines and such.

I figured out that the HPOP can be removed, and the HPFP can be retro-fitted with some machine work, and some modification,

Everyone understands that a steel plug can be made to the outside specs of the HEUI, and the inside to the 6.4 stick

The rails can be on the outside of the valve cover (just like swamps did)

The lift pump could be after market, fass or airdog.

And the injector nozzles can be adjusted to have the correct spray pattern.

And of course the cost of machining varies from shop to shop.

Here's the part where i'm starting to lose track of things, Wiring...

Swamps used the IDM8 to control the injectors, and i'm not entirely sure if that could replace the IDM's on our pickups.

Someone also said something about using a Stand alone controller,
How would that tie in to everything?
I've heard of them used for auto trannies in cummins swaps, but how would they work for injectors?

Another fella on here somewhere's posted in another thread just like this,
He said something along the lines of:
Think of all the money you would spend on dual HPOP's, 300/200 injectors, and other fueling components.
And it does make sense, to me anyways. If someone was to buy a stock pickup and wanted better electronic fueling, then why spend the money on that system when the CR is on its way to perfection?

Another point I would like to bring up is the HPOP, I know it's a proven system, I just get to thinking about the fact that our fuel system is controlled by oil? But I guess that's what made these pickups.

I also want to point out that I know the HEUI system was the first ''electronic controlled injector'' and it can produce pressures up to 23-24K psi.

I am totally serious about this conversion, and i'm just waiting for the funds, and the right pickup,
I'm also not looking for huge HP numbers, 550 to 600, somewheres in that range.
But just think of the fuel mileage, solid power, and the reliability of this setup if perfected.
Thoughts and inquiries very welcome.
Thanks
Jake

·
Registered
61 Posts
Good luck to you. There are stand alone common rail injection systems, but I have only ever seen them from companies over seas where people drive a lot more diesels than here in the states.

As for your HP goal, if you are only aiming at 550 to 600 horespower out of a 7.3, you will be way cheaper going with the HEUI system and what is out there for it. If you really want a common rail engine and are looking at standalone ecu's then why not just swap the 6.4 into your truck. The 6.4 heads are a much better design and the bottom end is way stronger than a 7.3 in stock trim, not to mention you aren't trying to reinvent the wheel which always costs about double what it should by the time trial and error is factored in.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I like the idea of a cr 7.3. A 6.4 would be a better way to go. But with that being said this idea could keep alive the 7.3 for a lone time and this is how we get cool and interesting parts.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Your already at 5500 and then add in core charges, machine work, tuning, and all the other odds and ends that will add up. Then building the bottom end and trans to hold the power. Like Bruce said, just buy a 6.4. Or just get a p-pump setup from Hypermax or Swamps.

·
Registered
94 Posts
what about a ebay stock hpfp (cp3) $200

ebay duramax injectors $100 apiece

ebay fuel rails with lines $100 apiece

electric lift pump $100

eventually go dual cp3

but thats definitly cheaper than a 6.4 swap

please someone ive asked this several times im wanting to do this but need to know if the electronics will be doable

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
If it was so easy, don't you think everyone would be doing it?
Just get the hypermax kit. It's only $12k.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
thats kinda what i thought but why wont it work? electronics? ive read they are doable
just wondering cause i just cant think whats so hard firing a cr injector is easy right???
swamps did it so i thought us mortals might be able to aswell

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Correct.
And theirs more sensors to be added also for a cp3 type setup.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i was reading the shop manual on the 6.4 and it looked like all you needis
maf
map
iat
oil temp
crankshaft pos
cam pos
throttle pos
barometric pressure sensor
exaust pressure

most the 7.3 has and the 2 or 3 other would be nothing to add i was thinking replace the 7.3 pcm with a 6.4 pcm i might need to get it programed but ive seen people put super duty pcms on obs trucks
im pretty good with electronics but like you say if it was this easy everyone would do it
big1indaworks said swamps used an independant idm like a duramax?

·
Registered
94 Posts
ive rean 7.3 is valve limiter to 1500hp absolute max i was wondering if you can get you valves milled out and larger ones installed
PS this is hypothetical im not expecting to get anywhere remotely close to 1500hp out of this truck

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
I would think you would be better off running a duramax pcm. Then you can run efi live and tune it yourself. I don't think this will be an easy feat. Plus the guys running the p pump 7.3's are having issues keeping the blocks together. Personally I think the juice ain't worth the squeeze.

·
Registered
94 Posts
didnt think about the block but the p pumped 7.3 ive seen are running 2000+ hp and id want a cradle anyways
someone said on here the duramax pcms dont like the ford cam pos sensor i was thinking you could just get a wiring diagram and pretty much solder the 6.4 pcm into the 7.3 wiring harness plus the few sensors you need to add on and essentially run the entire 6.4 fuel system the firing order might be different but seems way easier then a cross brand electronics system

i still just cant see it being over 3k to get the stock system on and you can upgrade from there but i could be wrong

·
Registered
94 Posts
it seems that if you can get a hypermax kit where everything is comepletely custom than a cr conversion using almost all ebay parts (see my previos post) should be a fraction of that

·
Administrator
8,310 Posts
Honestly this is way over my head. Your going to need to find some way to self tune it. I would think it would be cheaper to find a 6.4 donor truck to rob parts from.

·
Registered
94 Posts
if you were to use solenoid injectors it seems you could use the stock electronics and just install a voltage booster to up the 3somting volts from the heui injector to whatever it takes to fire a solenoid and essentially trick the computer into thinking you still had heui

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Do you know anything about the HEUI system? Lol
Stock IDM would fry most injectors. Lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts