Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Need more power!!
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this worth the 50 bucks?

The All New Improved CAM Position Sensor (CPS) for 7.3L Ford Powerstroke

If you own a 7.3L Powerstroke, you may already be aware of the shortcomings of the stock Cam Position Sensor (CPS). It is common for the CPS to fail causing the engine to run poorly or to stop running altogether and it usually happens at the most inconvenient times, such as in traffic or pulling a load so many owners carry a spare CPS.
This International Harvester CPS can be installed in the Powerstroke engine and will make the engine run quieter, smoother while increasing performance and mileage!
Provides a different signal (changes timing from standard CPS) to the Ford computer which results in a more accurate injection of fuel and better running engine with easier starts!
Works on all 94-03 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel.
Results vary by applications!
International Part Number: IHC#1876736C91
Free Shipping (Lower 48 States)!

$49.99
International Improved CAM Position Sensor

·
Along for the ride
185 Posts
I put an International CPS in my 97, worked as it should. Is the new one worth $50? If it keeps the truck running...YES IT IS!

·
Registered
288 Posts
what color is it?

·
Registered
486 Posts
That's the part number for the dark gray one with the purple o ring. I just bught another one last week for 28 bucks out the door from my International dealer....

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just ordered one myself...hopefully it squashes my intermittent stalls...

·
Registered
40 Posts
you guys that are installing these please update us...

I have the ford one in now and i still get the stumble every once in a while

·
Registered
42 Posts
I installed the international cps in my 99 about 2 months ago, It did not change the sound of the motor. But it is running thats what counts I gess.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Would also like to know, just replaced with a ford one and when backing up or pulling up, when barely Gassing it then releasing right away it stumbles a bit.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Probably the problem David. I guess I'm lucky. My 99 has the original one and I have a new oem black one in the glove box since I've owned the truck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just ordered mine still have the original one on the truck but it has turned off twice on the road hopefully the international one works like a charm or better

·
03 F350 7.3L
220 Posts
How is the sensor working for you guys that have ordered this one?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any Advice on the updated gray ford CPS ? Just got today have chep one from autozone get code on my ae ford packadge PO284 ford said even after putting new ford gray cps in code wont go awat ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
did some look up has anyone use this one Improved International CPS for 94-03 7.3L Ford Powerstroke Diesel? sells for 49.00 help ASP! and thaks my is 99 sd 250 7.3

·
Registered
561 Posts
Just an FYI, and sorry to NAPA....

I had a 97 4700 t444e come in a few years ago with stumbling issues. Seemed pretty classic CPS. Ordered one from NAPA, installed it... Crank no-start. What the.... Ordered a 2nd one, same story. Hooked up the oscilloscope and watched the waveforms of our known-marginal to both new ones. Couldn't discern a difference. Started pursuing other issues (ended up trying a known-good IDM/PCM, several other things) to no avail. Was getting pretty peeved after 10 hours of pursuit of the issue when my boss and I decided to try a 3rd. NAPA was out, so had CarQuest bring us one. Installed... Starts right up and runs no stumbling. Interesting... Hook up the scope to it, again no discernible difference. Very odd.
Anyway, the CarQuest one worked fine till I left that job over a year ago. Heck, it ran good until that fleet retired her 6-ish months ago.
Can't explain why it worked out that way, the oscilloscope normally is very tell-tale, but for whatever reason the waveforms were, near as we could tell, identical.
Ended up putting in CarQuest CPS's in their other 5 t444e's as well as roughly 5 other failures.
Had also tried the blue dt466e CPS on an earlier occasion, still developed stumbles on one of their other 4700's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
To the OP, yes to me it is worth 50 bucks. I went down to my local IH parts yesterday and they had 2 in stock. I bought one and came home and put it in last night. I had the original CPS in my '00 (never changed it when the Service Bulletin came out several years ago, figured if it hadn't given me any problems probably best to leave it alone). Anyway, I have been carrying a BWD CPS as a spare now for several years, but have been wondering about it as a replacement. So I decided to replace the original since I just hit the 250K mark and 15 years. I have to say there is a noticeable difference in the way it runs now. It starts up really quick and is very smooth at idle. I would definitely recommend it if your truck is getting up in age or miles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts