Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok my truck is very sluggish when cold...when i fire it up on cold start, it takes a few blocks of driving before it has any power at all....are these all like that till they warm up?

also, everyone says it should blow the tires off if i floor it from a stop...but it doesnt, not even close, unless im in gravel lol

and, today it was idling and it just died...fired right back up, but when i pulled out, it was acting weird....if i floor it, the truck will go, but makes no boost until it hits 2300 rpm then the turbo spools really quick...if i stay in it, it goes fine, but if i let off and it shifts down below 2300, when i floor it its sluggish and almost chugs along till 2300 again...

it runs nice and smooth in the upper rpm, so im doubting its an injector messing with a cylinder

but ive not changed the fuel filter since i got it, and im not even sure how...i hear people talking about a fuel bowl, is the filter in there or is it inline like on the gas trucks?

does my problem sound like a bad CPS, or maybe a bad fuel filter, or both?

i have a grey cps with a purple o-ring here...if i end up switching it, ill order one of those black ones....but i dont wanna switch till i know thats the problem, hell i looked and couldnt even see where it goes, going to google it

sorry such a long post

·
Registered
745 Posts
the filter and bowl are on top of the motor right behind the HPOP res under the plastic cover. You eill see a plastic cap abought 3" in diamiter that is the filter and bowl cap.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Fuel bowl is on top of your motor, the round plastic lid. Fuel filter is in there. The CPS is down low on the front of your motor, About ten O'Clock on the balancer. The only wire that runs down there.

I would for sure start with changing fuel filter.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok im gonna go get one...i also ordered that black CPS from the website you showed me...im going to throw out the one thats in it now, put in the grey one with the purple o-ring, and toss the black one in my glovebox when i get it...

ill post up in a few hours

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok turns out the filter had a lid attached to it, and the one i got didnt...so i put the old one back in for now...it didnt look dirty enough to be causing my problem though

maybe the truck feels sluggish from a stop because of the tires being too big? 305/70/16?

wouldnt explain cold start loss of power

but on the way to the part store, the truck like normal, no more chugging or anything like it did after it died in the gym parking lot this morning

which leads me closer to the CPS being the culprit

thoughts?

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
While your under your hood changing those items,i would make sure your all of your boot clamps are tight also.(y-pipe,intercooler,turbo)

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
I hate to say this, but I would be a little surprised if its a cps problem. Hopefully I'm wrong! If the problem returns, I think you need to get some readings/testing done with AE. Mechanical failures of injectors (as opposed to electrical, which trigger a ses) can cause similar symptoms to which you are experiencing. I would also look for oil leaking from the icp. Let us know how things go.
Best,
Jim

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hate to say this, but I would be a little surprised if its a cps problem. Hopefully I'm wrong! If the problem returns, I think you need to get some readings/testing done with AE. Mechanical failures of injectors (as opposed to electrical, which trigger a ses) can cause similar symptoms to which you are experiencing. I would also look for oil leaking from the icp. Let us know how things go.
Best,
Jim
why surprised? people say all the time the cps will cause the truck to die while running and fire right back up. or cause a stutter under load.

truck idles fine, runs great, accelerates smooth, the only time ive had any kind of stutter was this morning after the truck stalled out in my parking space...drove it to the part store a little later and its back to running normal

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
why surprised? people say all the time the cps will cause the truck to die while running and fire right back up. or cause a stutter under load.

truck idles fine, runs great, accelerates smooth, the only time ive had any kind of stutter was this morning after the truck stalled out in my parking space...drove it to the part store a little later and its back to running normal
Cause it was never that easy with mine. ;) Like I said, I could be wrong. Injector mechanical failures can cause similar symptoms; IDM problems can too. Unfortunately, a new cps didn't fix my problems - but that was me. I hope it fixes yours.

Best,
Jim

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well hope i have better luck

as of right now, the truck runs just fine...so i guess ill just leave it be for now

thanks for the advice jim, hope youre wrong lol

·
Edward Scissorhand WanaB
1,995 Posts
So what is the problem again? Chugging, sluggish or it cuts out while driving. One of my 99.5 F-450 has been cutting out while driving for over a year now and it restarts after cutting out. I thought CPS from the git go so I replaced it and it still cuts out while driving and restarts. I friend of mine scanned for codes and a TPS code popped up. TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) has 3 sensors connected to the accelerator pedal and in my case 2 out of 3 sensors failed. Now that explains the cutting out and restarts. I plan on replacing the TPS this weekend.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Im gonna lean toward worn injector(s) components, thats what was wrong with mine, was doing the same thing. AE should be your next course of action specifically an inj buzz test

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
idk...the truck only acted up that once...it runs fine again now...im just gonna leave it be and see how it goes

thanks guys

1 - 20 of 25 Posts