Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states I am a newbie here and diesels.

Looking to replace a minivan with an Excursion need to tow the boat with the family.

Found an 04 with 57K miles. The guy is the original owner got 12 mpg new worked with the dealer alot to get it to 18 mpg all highway. Took it in around 50k or so for routine maintenance and the dealer reset the computer or something and it immediately went back to 12 mpg. He installed an Edge and in economy get 18 again. He has not had any major issues with it seemed fine to me when I test drove.

No other mods done to it. Will be my daily driver, some of the posts I have read have made me ask is the Edge the right tuner and should I be concerned about anything using it without other mods.

Anything particular I should look at on it before purchasing?

Asking 24K for it, it is pretty clean and loaded with most of the factory stuff minus sunroof.

Thanks to all and I look forward to learning a great deal more here in the future.

Tony
Future EX

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that post, anyone else? I will definitely check on all of that just reading a ton of negatives and a good amount of positives so just the mixed nerves right now. I will check on the oasis report and he provided me the number for the mechanic so I will be checking with him too.

Your post mentioned concern over some of the tuners, it has the Edge on it and it was installed in the last 7000 miles. He put it on for the economy mode primarily, would that concern anyone? As for the rest it is stock.

Thanks All,
Tony

·
Still learning
368 Posts
Don't think the Edge would be much of a concern. The biggest concern with the Edge would be if he was using the higher horsepower tunes because the Edge does not tune the transmission.
It sounds like from your post an older sensible guy owns it currently which is good. If it passes the oasis and the price is correct for your range or area go for it and enjoy.
If you add alot of horsepower and drive it like a raped ape then be prepared for upgrades. I have the typical upgrades and drive sensibly and have had no problems out of the ordinary of what I would expect from a 03 truck.

Good Luck

·
Registered
878 Posts
One thing you dont do is buy a SuperDuty for it's fuel milage.... IT is a damn beast and drinks like a mule..... I get 12 unloaded with just my narrow ass in it and that's with an SCT. It has been the same before and after the lift and tires so I dont owe it to the lift.....good luck and buy it and enjoy it....

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
You will want to mod the suspension if its a 4X4 as stock..unsafe IMO. Helped hundreds and all very happy with the results. PM me for details.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts