Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok the first one is every morning if its cold outside ill go to start my truck and then im hearing like this hissing noise from under hood and its going out through my exhaust it just hisses in and out till my truck warms up all the way then it will quit im guessing has to do with turbo. The second problem is i went mudding the other day buried my truck well my tranny has been slipping in the first place i was just waiting for it to go out so i can put my built one in i burnt the already slipping one up trying to get out. but anyways after i got pulled out and on the way home i noticed a loud grinding noise coming from the front like axle or something its on driver side and it will quit for a min then all the sudden when i like hit a bump it just starts grinding up front again real bad then stop.. now if i put the truck in 4 hi it wont do it at all it will run fine but when i just 2 wheel it it does it bad up front.. im in process of putting my tranny in i have a early 99 7.3 oh and i forgot when i was washing the truck off one of my locks up front was like in the middle between lock and unlock i dunno if thats what would maybe cause it if one side is locked and other one is like halfassed..

·
<-- it's like that
6,567 Posts
Ok the first one is every morning if its cold outside ill go to start my truck and then im hearing like this hissing noise from under hood and its going out through my exhaust it just hisses in and out till my truck warms up all the way then it will quit im guessing has to do with turbo.
It's the exhaust backpressure valve working like it's supposed to. Perfectly normal.

The second problem is i went mudding the other day buried my truck well my tranny has been slipping in the first place i was just waiting for it to go out so i can put my built one in i burnt the already slipping one up trying to get out. but anyways after i got pulled out and on the way home i noticed a loud grinding noise coming from the front like axle or something its on driver side and it will quit for a min then all the sudden when i like hit a bump it just starts grinding up front again real bad then stop.. now if i put the truck in 4 hi it wont do it at all it will run fine but when i just 2 wheel it it does it bad up front.. im in process of putting my tranny in i have a early 99 7.3 oh and i forgot when i was washing the truck off one of my locks up front was like in the middle between lock and unlock i dunno if thats what would maybe cause it if one side is locked and other one is like halfassed..
Unlock the hub and drive it to see if the noise comes back. If so, then you may have gotten some junk in the axle, or you have a hub that's stuck. With the hubs unlocked and the truck in 2wd, crawl under the truck and try to spin the front driveshaft. If it doesn't spin, then you have a frozen hub.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just tried to unlock them and there stuck in the lock position werid cause i drove it to car wash the next day and they were still in lock well like i said earlier when i went to wash the hubs the driver side one was like half way between lock and unlock the passenger was still in lock.. i just now tried to unlock them and they wont budge there stuck in lock

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
looks like you'll have to take them apart to see if they are damaged or serviceable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh and i was trying to unlock them i got under there and looked on the driver side one where the noise is coming from and i noticed a plastic O ring just dangling there behind the hub like where the axle is..

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
thats a failed dust seal, keeps dirt and debris out of the needle bearing, they fail all the time= most likely not the cause of your issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats a failed dust seal, keeps dirt and debris out of the needle bearing, they fail all the time= most likely not the cause of your issue.
ok well there stuck in lock and its still making that noise but i was at the car wash and the driver side was in middle and push it back to lock since other side was stuck now there both stuck in lock i mean it doesnt grind when im 4 wheel just only in 2 wheel i mean bad on driver side it will quit then all of sudden bam i mean the steering wheel shakes bad and its pure grinding then just quit then come back.. now kinda got a question since my tranny is messed up i dont have reverse or 3rd gear and it only happens when im in 2 wheel with my wheels on lock do you think its cause my tranny or no

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
my guess is that when you are in 4x4 you are driving the damaged parts and that may be taking the noise away, and when your in 2wd the coasting is allowing it to make noise. I'll also guess that your trans problems have nothing to do with the front end grinding. I would tear down the front axle to the axle u joint and I'll bet you'll find damage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts