Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How in Gods green earth do you get the plastic bed protectors off without destroying them? Also, how much paint am I gonna need to paint a crew cab (going base clear)? Thanks for any insight!

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I think if you spent some serious time with pliers pinching them together and working it off...

But I sure didn't want to spend the time, I just broke mine off... I think they are like 60-70 bucks each from Ford...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
there a pita to get off! along with the front bumper cover and rear bumper cover/steps!!!!!

·
F350 Balla
269 Posts
Its definitely a tedious experience... I've done a couple. The bumper pieces come off easier with the bumpers off the truck.

·
Registered
446 Posts
i just took a flat bar for pulling nails and let them sit in the sun for awhile and get the bar under on the inside of the bed and work your way down they pop right out sometimes some break but i have had mine off three times and they still go back on nice.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Got the rail caps off. Any insight to the quantity of paint needed. Want to get everything before i get into this to deep and have only a half painted truck!

·
F350 Balla
269 Posts
I'd say a couple gallons, perhaps more depending upon color/type paint would be a close estimate for an all-over. Is this goin back the original color? Any tyoe of paint scheme? Metallics? Pearl? You pulling the bed? Painting bumpers? Doing the door jambs? Have you contemplated other materials (tape, paper, primer, thinner, etc)?

I know thats a lot of questions, but there is a lot to know before you start estimating materials. I'm also no expert, but this should help you get a start.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same color. One color no two tone. It is that blue/green color (Caribbean Blue or Island Blue I think?)Just outside and roof, no jambs or inside of box. Leaving box on as well. Bumpers are chrome. Painting in base clear. Got all other related stuff just need an estimate of paint so there is enough for my painter so he doesn't have to come twice. Thanks again for any help!

·
F350 Balla
269 Posts
I'd pull the box if I could... You are talking about a tool box, correct? I've never sprayed the blue/green color before, but I'm gonna go on a limb and say it wont cover like a more opaque color (white, black, red), since it is heavy in either metallics or pearl.

I'd still do 2 gallons to be on the safe side. Anyone else have an opinion?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to let people know, it took about 5 quarts of base and lees than a gal of clear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts