Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys, still getting used to the 2005 6.0 compared to my 2007 LBZ duramax. Sure seems to be a great truck. Rides better, seems to have better brakes too. Anyway, when I got home before I turned it off and popped the hood to check over some things. When I popped it I had my head near the airbox and heard gurgling from what sounded like the upper radiator hose. This just normal cooling system pressure or is there something to be worried about? I am by no means new to automotive but I have not been around the 6.0 long enough. Thanks in advance.

Nick

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also forgot to add, even if i have just been driving it and turn it off I can start it 5 mins later and it still has the glow plug light for about 1-2 seconds. This normal or is it just a gauge test for the dash? Truck was reflashed this past monday at the dealer. It did it before the reflash and after. thanks

Nick

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ttt

·
Steamfighter
1,094 Posts
Mine hits the glow plug indicator no matter how hot engine is , just on for a second when hot , and longer when cold . The Chebbys glow plug operation time is not the same as PSD.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^Great! thanks for the input. I kind of figured it was normal too. Just wanted to make sure. Truck runs excellent. It does however take just as long cranking time whether its cold start or warm/hot start. If I had to count I'd say like one mississippi. That sound normal? I know the PSD and the Duramax are two different machines but the Duramax starts like a gasser, fires right up. Just want to make sure the truck is all good to go. Thanks again

nick

·
Registered
24 Posts
^Great! thanks for the input. I kind of figured it was normal too. Just wanted to make sure. Truck runs excellent. It does however take just as long cranking time whether its cold start or warm/hot start. If I had to count I'd say like one mississippi. That sound normal? I know the PSD and the Duramax are two different machines but the Duramax starts like a gasser, fires right up. Just want to make sure the truck is all good to go. Thanks again

nick
I read somewhere that it should fire up within 2.5 seconds after you start cranking after the GP light goes off. (Hot or cold) I believe this is a Ford spec, but not really sure. My 2005 completely stock except for a coolant filter and a zoodad mod does this consistantly.
Sonny

·
Registered
772 Posts
My brother has a dmax. It does start faster and have less time for the glowplug lights. Duramax is a common rail motor and 6.0s are heui and they are different trucks. I would take my powerstroke over a duramax every time. Just takes a little work to get the kinks out. I would only start to worry about the coolant system when you have puke around the degas bottle.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are great! thanks for the info. Like stated above I am coming from a Duramax and just want to make sure of everything with the PSD. So far so good. I love the way this truck rides/steers/brakes. To be honest it feels much better on the road. Thanks again everyone. Happy Easter to you and your families!

Nick

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Cooling system noise *update*

Ok so a little update, the dealer says its the exhaust. Because I have a "performance" exhaust (previous owner had the muffler cut out and a straight pipe welded in with the worst welds I have ever seen) that is the cause of the noise. Personally I don't buy it. Its a pressure type pssss psssssssssss. Unless the exhaust is building up pressure and blowing out of a little hole somewhere I cannot see how it is the cause. Only does it once its warmed up also. So much for the dealer

Thanks fellas
Nick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts