Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey

so i was peeking around under the hood the other day after work, and noticed i have cruddy looking junk in my plastic coolant tank... and a green coolant... that doesn't look like a healthy green.

researched up on the cooling system flush... good and dandy and all... but 2 questions..

Any type of Chemical cleaner to get junk out of the coolant passages?

What do you do with 8+ gallons of used coolant mix? not a single place i called would take it. a few even wanted to know where i could get rid of it so they can.

thanks

-Rob

·
Moved in
1,008 Posts
Flush the green and put in gold (maintenance free). Install coolant filter to get rid of all of the crud. Dieselsite sells them.
As far as disposal, call around to all of the auto parts stores. If they won't take it ask a local repair shop where they dispose of theirs. Some municipalities offer drop off sites as well.

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ooh yes, i forgot about the filters

naw not even that gold stuff... CAT ELC, 500K-1M mile life span rating, and working at a dealer.. i can get a discount.

how hard is installing them?... well i ought to go look because i bet ill find it.

-Rob

·
Moved in
1,008 Posts
Easy installation. The kit will have everything you need. When you mentioned green coolant I thought you still had the OEM stuff.

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Easy installation. The kit will have everything you need. When you mentioned green coolant I thought you still had the OEM stuff.
well i hate to say it...

but it does look like "that kinda green" i bought the truck used... so im wanting to go over everything since now i have a little extra $.. cooling, trans, diff's, transfer case, the preventive maintenance stuff even if it's not needed ide rather do it. i need the truck to last another 10 years. LOL

·
Peon
727 Posts
As long as you don't take the cap off the overflow bottle (ask me how I know...), it shouldn't take more than an hour to install the coolant filter kit. My first filter clogged up in <500 miles so I changed it (bought 4 spare filters when I ordered the kit) then, again at 1500 miles, and now, 45K miles later, I change it every 10K miles more b/c I'm bored and have plenty of replacement filters than out of need.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts