Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought i read in the owners manual that the cooling capacity of my 2002 F250 7.3 (of course) with a/c truck held 37 Qts. . And Gooches flush instructions says= 4 gallons a/f and 4 gallons distilled water.....drained everything twice, including block plugs......got 4 gallons a/f and 2 gallons water and was full??? drove enough to warm up to normal op temp. still full???? Also, what is the trick to loosening the thermostat housing bolts? Previous owner, or shop must have used thread lock or something? Used 6 point short socket, got 1 loose, soaking 2 others in Kroil........see what happens..thanks for any help....rsbhunter:confused:

·
<-- GO BRONCOS
965 Posts
Keep driving the truck around. I was still adding water for a week or so, and I don't think my truck took all 4 gallons of water either.

All of my bolts came out easy, sorry I can't help you there.

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,350 Posts
it takes a lot of work for the t-stat to open in these things...just because the temp said normal doesn't mean it has opened yet..like Anthony said..keep running it and checking it...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
O.K. will do...thanks for the advice...i'll keep some water in the truck to add to the radiator...going on a turkey hunt this Thursday...about 60 miles one way....should help it get circulated...rsbhunter

·
Registered
561 Posts
Did you drain the block too?... Err wait, just re-read. NVM on that.
Is it possible the heater circuit trapped some of the old coolant in it?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Possible, but i did the flushing tee just like gooch's instructions said.....???? anything is possible...went from green coolant to HD ELC red coolant....dont see any funny colors yet, like they mixed...but i will just keep driving it and checking it...thanks for the help...rsbhunter

·
Science rulz
1,424 Posts
I poured in 17 litres(roughly 18 quarts or something) of coolant and just filled with water until full.. It's been staying full since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts