Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have a procedure for testing the fan clutch? I have an 03 6.0 Auto that has gotten up to 212-215 degrees while towing without the cooling fan engaging at all. The wiring harness is intact all the way to the clutch. Just want to verify that the clutch is bad before I order a new one.

Any help would be great, thanks.

·
Captain Negativity!
3,109 Posts
The fan doesn't come on really until 108C. Which is about 226F. Coolant temp for minimum fan is 104 which is about 219 (which coincides with full open on the thermostat). Coolant temp for max fan is 113C which is 235. Get it hotter and try again...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, didn't realize that the clutch didn't start to engage until 219deg... My 06 has never gotten much above 200 while towing so maybe it is time for a new waterpump in the 03.

Thanks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Another way to test it is with Auto Enginuity. You can now engage the fan to test operation.

I pulled a mountain pass in 80 degree weather with 14K behind me and my fan never came on with the truck seeing 230 and it puked pretty bad. After the latest update to AE, I was able to prove it was dead.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good call on the Auto Enginuity, we already have it at work for use on some Dodges. Just need to buy the Ford Module. Thanks for the idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts