Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed just this weekend a coolant smell in the cab of my truck. 1997 F250 HD 7.3. The water pump is new(er) about 2-3 years old, the thermostat is new and I upgraded to a billet housing to stop the leak from the old flimsy stock thermostat housing. Initial thought was/is heater core, but I don't have a noticible leak in the cabin, carpet is dry, etc. The heater blows hot as the day she was new it'll sweat you out of the cab. The upper radiator hose appears to be empty of any coolant, when its cold it feels like just air in the line, and when warmed up to still feels like air, but the hose is hot. Should this upper hose be full of fluid and firm? Planning to pressure test the system next.

Help appreciated.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
If you are smelling coolant in the cab it's a real good bet that it is the heater core.

Odds are the coolant is evaporating before it can drip onto the carpet for right now.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Reactions: GodLovesUgly

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no . upper hose is the return to the radiator. so there should be no pressure in it.
Thanks, should it be filled w fluid at least? Even when warm it doesn't "feel" like there is anything in the line it's just warm and squishy. The thermostat appears to be functioning properly as per the dash gauge. You can see it creep up and drop back down each time the thermostat opens/closes.

Agreed Bugman that I have a strong suspision for heater core which thankfully is fairly straightforward on these.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
The coolant system is a pressurized system and the upper hose should be hard when the system is at normal operating temperature. If you are able to squeeze it "like it just has air in it" there's a leak in the system. I would also bet on the heater core. If the windshield fogs up with the controls in defrost and at temp, it's the heater core. Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No fog on the windows from the defroster. Both lines to the heater core are hot. Top of rad is warm and top hose is warm. Bottom of rad is cold and bottom hose is cold. Hose leaving the degas bottle is cold. Fluid level is between the fill indicators cold and then drops about an inch once it hits op temp and the therm opens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts