Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought the truck probably 10 months ago and only thing i have done to the coolant is use one of those little dippers to test its cooling ability. I was really just checking for oil and debris in it.

It was a goldish color and when it needed a little added i put in distilled water.

The coolant will be getting replaced when head studs get done and egr delete is installed. But i have a new coolant filter coming in in a few days and wondering how to i know what type of coolant to top it off with?

If i get the elc will mixing them hurt anything if mine is still the ford gold? should i just use distilled water to be safe?

The truck is an 03 with 120k on the clock and my eot ect delta is always within 4-7 unless the truck is warming up if that helps at all

Thanks!

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,209 Posts
Flush it w/ LOTS of distilled water (5+ flushes at 4 gallons added each time).

You can only drain about half of the systems coolant (a little more than that using the block drains).

You should not just mix the coolants.

Operation for very long on just distilled water (or even a weak concentration of coolant) can cause cavitation issues to begin.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I intend on having the shop flush the coolant but as far as i go. I plan on using vice grips to shut each end of the tube off that i have to cut and hopefully only loose about a spoonful of coolant. Just wondering what i should do to fill the filter up?

Sorry question wasn't more clear. Is there any way to test to see what coolant i have?

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,209 Posts
Well you did ask about mixing coolants ..........

Fill the filter up w/ 50/50 coolant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts