Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well It started about a month after I switched over to elc coolant. I did the whole procedure to switch over, Put in a new thermostat and billet housing (both from dieselsite) and all was great then about a month later Im getting a leak at the thermostat where the rad hose goes on so I double clamped it then all was good for about 3 months. Then It started pushing a very little coolant out the degas bottle. Not all the time just mainly when Id either get on it good a couple of times or it seems whenever I use the block heater at night for some reason. Put a new cap on the degas bottle (thought maybie it was weak and not holding pressure where it should) and was good for about 2 more weeks and started again so I pulled the thermostat and checked it in water with a thermometer and it didnt start opening till 218 degrees so I put a new international thermostat in it (and before installing it I checked it with the heating water test on the stove and started opening at about 192 degrees) then it was great again till today and now its coming out the degas bottle a bit again. What gives? Could it be the thermostat took a crap again? It has me stumped. No smell of exhaust in the coolant and no mixing of fluids anywhere. I even put a new clutch fan on it last time as I thought it could have been bad since it was original. Any ideas?

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ill add it never smokes or uses any fluids except the little bit that comes out of the degas bottle when it does come out. Just rebuilt the oil cooler as it was dripping oil when it was freezing cold here and thats all been good and dry since done with no fluid mixing either. I can figure it out. It starts and runs like a champ with no ses light ever, never been towed with over 3k lbs and maintenance is religiously done when due on everything.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could it be possiable the water pump isnt turning inside as Ive had it do it on alot of jeeps and some cars before but never heard of it on a 7.3? The pump is about 4 years old and 100,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
sounds like your 7.3 is acting like a 6.0. Does the heat act up in the cab at all? Try to T in a pressure gauge to see what your actual cooling system pressure is.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heat in the cab is normal and will roast ya out lol... Cant figure it out. Now I havent plugged it in for 5 days and not once did it push any coolant out. Tonight Ill plug it in and see what it does tomorrow. Only does it mainly when I plug it in at night and not even then all the time. MAYBIE 2 TO 3 DAYS IT WILL DO IT THEN IT MAY NOT DO IT FOR ANOTHER WEEK. Cant figure it out but going to install my gauges this weekend so well actually see what its running at instead of going by that factory gauge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts