Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For any that do not know of my woes, I'm fearing I have a head gasket issue. First, I made sure my cap was good. Yup, releases at 16PSI. So, I got a pressure gauge and hooked it into my coolant system. When I start the truck up, absolutely nothing, so definitely not a large leak. I let it get to operating temp and check the gauge. Only 10PSI. So far, so good. I drive it about three miles, pop the hood and look (because I didn't have a long enough piece of hose laying around to run through the firewall) and it's right at 16PSI. Won't go any higher obviously because the cap is releasing pressure. So, the hose IS long enough to close the hood to the first latch and have it running just inside my window. When I drive around like this and watch it, there are no pressure spikes or even increases at all when I go WOT. I even sat at a stop and powerbraked it until I was up to about 8 PSI and just sat there for a bit. Zero increase in pressure in cooling system. It's only a gradual increase with no spiking whatsoever.

So out I got and get the exhaust gas test kit. I hook it all up, etc etc and blue fluid does NOT turn yellow. However, plenty of bubbles were going through the fluid even without me squeezing the little suction bulb. Bubbles tell me it's definitely producing gas inside the cooling system somehow. Could it be a hot spot and coolant is boiling because there is no coolant flow? Nope, checked that and my radiator gets hot, so the thermostat is working, and I can visually see coolant flow back into the degas bottle. BTW, AFTER I did the test I read a little further in the directions and it says it will not work with diesel engines. I guess diesel doesn't produce the same amount of whatever gas it detects as gasoline does. lol

Anyway, for those who have been here, does this indicate a headgasket leak? If it does, I'm thinking it must be pretty darn small to not show any spiking when engine is revved up and producing boost. If it's not indicative of a gasket leak, then what is it?

·
Super Moderator
5,333 Posts
After that drive, with 16 psi, did you have the tea kettle whistle from the bottle cap?

·
Administrator
33,153 Posts
sounds like your done with the PSI test and it failed
and the 6.0 likes to give false results on the gas test but the 16psi is the key

·
Big dumb *******
4,200 Posts
I wonder if, even though you only closed the hood one click, you crimped the hose? That would throw off the results at the gauge.

·
Administrator
33,153 Posts
true it could buffer the spikes but as you know not cause the 16psi and thats the problem IMHO

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
1,207 Posts
After engine is fully up to temps loosen coolant cap and bleed off to zero.
Then take it out again if pressure climbs back up you absutely have a problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do you still have Egr cooler? If so I'd say from what you're saying it sounds more like its plugging up causing flash gasses in your coolant system. I'd check that first because more then likely if it were blown head gaskets you'd have pressure right off the bat. On YouTube there's a video that shows you how to check for each one. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I am in the same boat as you. Mine on stock tune is fine unless you have a long hard pull like pulling a trailer on to a on ramp on highway then the cap lets loose. If i have a tune on it 100hp tune or so it does it more often.Almost positive mine is egr related.

·
Big dumb *******
4,200 Posts
I am in the same boat as you. Mine on stock tune is fine unless you have a long hard pull like pulling a trailer on to a on ramp on highway then the cap lets loose. If i have a tune on it 100hp tune or so it does it more often.Almost positive mine is egr related.
Your sig says "EGR delete"....so how could you think yours is EGR related? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Its still in the box on the shelf. lol

·
Big dumb *******
4,200 Posts
Well that explains things. LOL

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for not getting back to this thread for a while. Life happened, ya know? lol

After that drive, with 16 psi, did you have the tea kettle whistle from the bottle cap?
That's the weird thing. No, no tea kettle noise at all. However, when it hit 16PSI and I had the hood cracked I did hear the cap release pressure, almost like a turbo waste gate...just a semi-loud "PFFT".

I wonder if, even though you only closed the hood one click, you crimped the hose? That would throw off the results at the gauge.
I don't think so because I made sure it was free moving with the hood "clicked" closed.

After engine is fully up to temps loosen coolant cap and bleed off to zero.
Then take it out again if pressure climbs back up you absutely have a problem.
This actually sounds like a great idea. Will tackle that tonight probably since I still have the pressure gauge hooked up.

Do you still have Egr cooler? If so I'd say from what you're saying it sounds more like its plugging up causing flash gasses in your coolant system. I'd check that first because more then likely if it were blown head gaskets you'd have pressure right off the bat. On YouTube there's a video that shows you how to check for each one. Hope that helps!
Nope. Deleted. I have been doing some reading and there is the possibility of some residual air pockets causing flash boiling.

Thanks for any and all suggestions! If I ever get this figured out I'm gonna buy you all a beer. Well, a virtual one anyway. lol

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Are you loosing coolant?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, losing coolant, but now not so much. What I mean by that is I wiped everything CLEAN last week. This week, no coolant on degas bottle, but i am losing a little coolant from somewhere in the valley. Will have to figure that out. I know the usual suspects, just gotta check on em.

So I did that check last night....got the truck up to operating temp and after a good long while, the pressure got to 16PSI. Pulled over, relieved pressure, put cap back on, restarted, and drove. It took a good five minutes for the pressure to even reach 5PSI. Pressure went up to ten after another five and at that point I just went back home and shut it off. So, if correct, this is an indication that I do not have a HG leak, correct?

As for the coolant leak thing, initially it was puking a little bit, but not a lot. After reading a bunch, I found out I don't have the updated sticker for the degas bottle lowering the min mark, so I was likely overfilled. Anyway, this week I found no more coolant around the cap, so I'm kinda wondering what the heck is going on.

Also, I have replaced the thermostat but am wondering if that may have been faulty. It wasn't FoMoCo because I needed it right away and they were out. Considering the fact I get 16PSI and the top radiator hose isn't even warm, I'm wondering if it's just not opening properly all the time and coolant is getting some real good hot spots. Temp gauge never goes above 193, but I know that sensor is in the oil cooler assy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What ended up being the issue??? Im having literally all the same problems. So happy I found this thread. Its helped me a ton!

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The issue was bad head gaskets. Upon inspection of the gaskets once I took them off you could tell they were barely leaking, which explains why there was no spike in pressure on a WOT run and why it took so long for the pressure to build back up after releasing it. Since this thread I have helped a couple other people with their degas bottle puking/losing coolant. One had the typical spike in pressure and lots of puking from the bottle. The other had very slow pressure build up like mine did. Both wound up being head gaskets.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts