Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my old Waterpump this past week. I have only driven about 40 miles total since replacing the pump. Every morning the water level in the expansion tank has dropped 1/2". I fill it exactly between the 2 lines on the cold fill mark, in the morning it's back to the lower of the 2 lines. Add a cup of distilled water and its back to the middle. Drive it 5-10 miles....back to the lower line the next morning. Just getting the air out? I've looked and looked for a leak with no success.

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
Maybe. The air should be out by now so I would tend to doubt that, but we'll see I guess. All you can do is either look for a leak, or keep doing what your doing. If it is a little air then it should stop dropping vrey soon. Make sure you got the heater turned on when you drive it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Most likely.. just air pockets... if you didn't use something like an airlift device, to draw a vacuum on the cooling system to fill it. Should clear up within a couple hot and cold cycles.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just bypassed the heater core to see if it might be that. I just fired it up after sitting all night with the heater plugged in. Not a whisp of white smoke at startup. I'm hoping that would suggest the injector cups aren't leaking. I just replaced the lower HPOP reservoir gasket and topped it off with new oil. My dipstick shows about 1/16" above the full hash marks. Not sure if I just overfilled it a hair or water is drining into the oil. I have to drive it 65 miles today so I'll have a better idea of what's going on hopefully. What's the best system pressure check tool for these trucks?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Local auto parts store might have your basic pressure tester to check for leaks..Some store lend tools at no cost.
A inline pressure guage will help you identify pressure in the system above 16PSI.. but i am guessing you dont see any puking around the rad cap on degas bottle?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not even a drop?

·
Project Shamu
2,966 Posts
After installing my motor I had to top it off for about a week after the first fill. If it's not leaking or going to the oil, it should just be burping air.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could hear my radiator cap hissing today after a long drive. I bought a new cap at the dealership. The level was in the correct place this morning.

·
Project Shamu
2,966 Posts
Good to hear, and the radiator cap is important, glad to hear you replaced it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts