Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been waiting until payday to re place my water pump, due to really cold weather I guess it went out. I go outside today and it's not leaking from the water pump,instead it looks like its leaking towards the rear of the engine. is this just coolant being pushed to the rear of the truck while I'm driving? Or is there somewhere else that coolant can be leaking?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Oil cooler, esp. the block heater. Are you sure it's coolant and not fuel (diesel looks green against a dark engine block)?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it's coolant, tastes like coolant not diesel, lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the starter plug is where the leak is, thing is I can't see the plug. Any recommendations on how to tighten it without dropping the starter?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, well I'm a jackass. It's fuel, guess I tasted the wrong puddle Lol I know that sounds so wrong.!! New question if my water pump was leaking then stops meaning hasn't leaked for a few days should I just replace it ? Or what else could cause it to leak then stop?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Look up at the thermostat neck; common leak point, and on one of our trucks it kinda comes and goes (first item on the spring agenda....).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@madpogue, I have an 800 mile move I'm making in 2 months. I was gonna replace it this weekend but given the fact that it came and went I'm second guessing weather or not it's a priority. I don't want to be 3 hours into it and it blows up!! What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
If it's the water pump itself (IIRC, they have a weep hole), a little leak can become a BIG one with no warning. Same thing with a minor crack in the radiator tank. If it's the t-stat housing gasket, TBH, I discovered it on our EC truck just as the weather turned, and we've gone prob. 500 miles since then; I've just kept an eye on it. Leak there is not likely to burst into something catastrophic.

First things to check, of course, are hose clamp tightness, and the reservoir (degas bottle) cap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts